PDA

View Full Version : Half Shaft Desing

montoyaj
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I have read the other forums about Half Shaft Design. In part of the forum accounting for the bending load on the half shaft was mentioned. I am wondering how to approximate the bending load on the half shaft for my design analysis.

Thank you for any help

montoyaj
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I have read the other forums about Half Shaft Design. In part of the forum accounting for the bending load on the half shaft was mentioned. I am wondering how to approximate the bending load on the half shaft for my design analysis.

Thank you for any help

billywight
10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Why is your half shaft loaded in bending?

Chris_S
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by billywight:
Why is your half shaft loaded in bending? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Design judge jumping on the back of the car checking the suspension movement.

Whis
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
A special design... It is asymetric around the axis of a normal halfshaft. Kinda looks like a U actually. It is designed to make life really interesting...

kapps
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I can see where a halfshaft could see quite a bit of tension/compression depending on suspension design but not bending. Care to elaborate?

R. Alexander
10-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I read in an SAE paper that CV joints actually put insane bending moments into driveshafts. Way more than I expected.

Pico
10-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Your CV joints should have a certain amount of "plunge" to allow movement while the car is rolling or pitching.

Dan B
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Alexander:
I read in an SAE paper that CV joints actually put insane bending moments into driveshafts. Way more than I expected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What paper?

ZAMR
04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
BUMP

So I am doing this half-shaft analysis for a mechanical components class. I've been running dynamic simulations in Autodesk Inventor to see what's really going on with the bending moments and such. Turns out there is a bending moment created by the CV joints. It varies from negligible at 5 degrees to about 17% of the transmitted torque at a 30 degree angle.

You also start to lose torque transmission through the CV joints, but the loss from half-shaft angle is negligible according to Autodesk.

Someone else try it out, its late and I might have made a mistake!

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing

dazz
04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZAMR:
BUMP

So I am doing this half-shaft analysis for a mechanical components class. I've been running dynamic simulations in Autodesk Inventor to see what's really going on with the bending moments and such. Turns out there is a bending moment created by the CV joints. It varies from negligible at 5 degrees to about 17% of the transmitted torque at a 30 degree angle.

You also start to lose torque transmission through the CV joints, but the loss from half-shaft angle is negligible according to Autodesk.

Someone else try it out, its late and I might have made a mistake!

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why every team should be designing their own light weight versions of the Thompson Coupling to use on their half shafts. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

P.S. a tip for anyone running the ball type CV joints off an ATV, if they are getting a little worn you might be able to freshen them up with a new set of balls from your local bearing supplier - MUCH cheaper than buying the whole assembly OEM. Gets a bit more life out of them before shelling out for new housings. I've done this for the Honda units (not for FSAE but on my uncles ATV).