PDA

View Full Version : Progress for 2009...

Adam Vaughan
12-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering how other teams were progressing with the perpetually frantic rush to get everything together for FSAE Virginia and Michigan.

As for us, we're a little behind with our frame's fabrication, but the design is finalized. Our new engine is running pretty well on the dyno after an unfortunate incident that caused one of our veterans to give up the ghost. We've made some progress testing carbon suspension components but they need more verification before we're comfortable using them. We may or may not have some time to get real world numbers off our partially instrumented `08 car's suspension to aid in that design (one thing or another has gotten in the way of finishing that). Still, the suspension geometry is all there, and it just needs a final physical embodiment.

Ricardo is helping with the intake and exhaust design this year, but in many ways it makes our lives just a little more difficult than good old Helmholtz. Titanium is on the plate for our headers, but we haven't decided if it's impractical for us or not (we need to do more testing that just our initial try at it). Our electronics package (namely traction/launch control) is getting there but it definitely needs some actual solder. Sponsorship could be a little better (as always?) but it is moving along, albeit slowly. All of the other systems are on their way to finishing their design phase "soon" :-) and a handful have begun fabrication.

I realize that in an ideal world we'd be further along with manufacturing, but, as a relatively small team, there are only so many hours in the day (and night, for that matter) to get stuff done. Then there's the fact that this is only our third year. Quite a few systems weren't rigorously designed in the past (just so we got something out the door) and that makes for a limited legacy to reflect on. A wise grad student here said we're shaping up to be a pretty good R&D year, but I'm hoping we progress beyond just that.

How has everyone else been doing?

Warm regards,
Adam Vaughan
Cooper Motorsports

P.S. If you made it this far, I apologize for the long post!

Adam Vaughan
12-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering how other teams were progressing with the perpetually frantic rush to get everything together for FSAE Virginia and Michigan.

As for us, we're a little behind with our frame's fabrication, but the design is finalized. Our new engine is running pretty well on the dyno after an unfortunate incident that caused one of our veterans to give up the ghost. We've made some progress testing carbon suspension components but they need more verification before we're comfortable using them. We may or may not have some time to get real world numbers off our partially instrumented `08 car's suspension to aid in that design (one thing or another has gotten in the way of finishing that). Still, the suspension geometry is all there, and it just needs a final physical embodiment.

Ricardo is helping with the intake and exhaust design this year, but in many ways it makes our lives just a little more difficult than good old Helmholtz. Titanium is on the plate for our headers, but we haven't decided if it's impractical for us or not (we need to do more testing that just our initial try at it). Our electronics package (namely traction/launch control) is getting there but it definitely needs some actual solder. Sponsorship could be a little better (as always?) but it is moving along, albeit slowly. All of the other systems are on their way to finishing their design phase "soon" :-) and a handful have begun fabrication.

I realize that in an ideal world we'd be further along with manufacturing, but, as a relatively small team, there are only so many hours in the day (and night, for that matter) to get stuff done. Then there's the fact that this is only our third year. Quite a few systems weren't rigorously designed in the past (just so we got something out the door) and that makes for a limited legacy to reflect on. A wise grad student here said we're shaping up to be a pretty good R&D year, but I'm hoping we progress beyond just that.

How has everyone else been doing?

Warm regards,
Adam Vaughan
Cooper Motorsports

P.S. If you made it this far, I apologize for the long post!

Wes Johnson
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
We just finished expanding and organizing our shop after getting a lot more space from the dept (who would've thought that can happen). We are planning on having our chassis and a-arms mostly done by Dec. 22nd.

Just now finalizing all the machined components design, so we should be throwing chips shortly. We are hoping to hit our deadline of the 22nd such that we can register for VIR.

Just a few more days of exams, then it's full tilt on car build until next semester...exciting.

-Wes

Mikey Antonakakis
12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Adam, good to hear you guys are doing well at Cooper.

Here at Columbia, things are going slowly, but pretty smoothly. We just managed to get the alumni association to donate money for us to purchase a dyno, which is going to be a huge benefit to our team for obvious reasons. It's a little late in the year for it, but it's worlds better than trying to get dyno time at a shop two hours from our school only to have the car refuse to run when we got there.
We too are using Ricardo WAVE for the first time, although things are going slowly in that department as well (mostly my own fault). But my personal goal is to have a few configurations nailed down by the start of next week, which I probably won't be able to accomplish, but I'll get close.

Our chassis is mostly tacked up, I think our suspension geometry is almost locked down, our upright design is finalized I think. We're not moving fast as we would have liked, but we're doing alright, at least a lot better than last year.

We (at least myself and our chief engineer) want to have better drivers this year, so we've been playing a lot of racing sims with a nice force feedback wheel, and going karting at Grand Prix New York as often as we can afford. Unfortunately we have no were to drive on campus, no one on the team has a car that we can drive in a local autocross, and we don't know of any place we could legally/safely take our car to train.

J.R.
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Did you try asking that karting place for sponsorship? We've got a local place that lets us drive for free in exchange for on campus promotions. Worth asking!

Mikey Antonakakis
12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.R.:
Did you try asking that karting place for sponsorship? We've got a local place that lets us drive for free in exchange for on campus promotions. Worth asking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah we talked about that at our meeting tonight, we're definitely going to try that. Then all we need is for the train company to sponsor us because it costs $20 a trip per person to get there, ha.

wtpLXfox
12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
We're struggling right now. Our main problem is sponsorships as we can't get enough money to come close to completing our budget. Last year our school fronted all the money for us and made it easy to build and test the car within a reasonable amount of time for Michigan in 2008. However, this year they said they will not be doing the same thing and we are hurting badly. Obviously this could be from the craptastic economy, but is anyone else having issues getting sponsorships this year?

David
UofL

Aaron@Kaist
12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
we had sponsorship from Bentley Motors Korea, they pulled out last month !@)#*!@(%&!@(#*!@#(!_(!@((#(@!)@)@) is anyone else hurting from the exchange rate...

BP
12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Here in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada at Lakehead University, we are also having funding issues. There has not been much in terms of sponsorships other than for software and fabrication services, our monetary situation is not good. We currently have less then a thousand dollars and need much more than that to compete in May. Most of our donations have come from Alumni of the University, which is a big help but not nearly close enough to make the projected budget.

Among those things our frame is done, suspension is being built over the xmas break, our seat is being made, engine is completely mounted with bushings made but compression test results dont look good. Our Polaris sponsorship parts have been ordered and our tires and possibly wheels are being donated.

2009 is going to be very busy here for the Lakehead University Thunder Wolf Racing team, but either way, you will see us in Michigan on May 13, 2009. Thats a promise!

Kevin Dunn
12-25-2008, 04:10 PM
At Lawrence Tech we're behind schedule, as always. Our chassis and suspensions teams have been kicking butt to get a rolling chassis together. Our goal was January 1st but depending on how many dedicated team members get in the lab over the next week, it'll hopefully be rolling beginning of February or so. Our goal for a completed car is March 1st (in order to tune for VIR).

Chassis:
Still waiting on clarification of our SEF's. We submitted them and heard back but the response was too vague to really start redesigning our side-impact structure. Just need to design our jigs for suspension tabs and we'll be welding those on. Mock Engine will be dropped in tomorrow afternoon. Our chassis is pretty much completed except for our side-impact section.

Suspension:
All of the parts have been ordered and are in the lab. Titanium and Aluminum stock has been sent out for machining. Should be getting that back in the end of January. Currently we are designing our bell-cranks and push/pull rod geometry to finalize our suspension design. A-arms have been fabbed and are awaiting tabs...

Powertrain:
These guys are making me nervous...Finally got our dyno engine blue-printed and assembled. We'll be welding up our dry-sump testing pan and prototype aluminum intake in the next week or two. We have some work cut out for us on the fabbing of the intake since we are going water-air intercooled this year. Will order all of our stainless tubing for our 09 comp. exhuast to be fabbed up. I'm still waiting to hear back from Garrett for our GT12 (contacted them several times with no response). We are working with AVL to possibly donate some "equipment" for us to use to the end of June hopefully...this will tremendously decrease the amount of tuning time.

Drivetrain:
Rear diff. is being machined as we speak. Our stub-shafts and other miscellaneous part arrived on 12/22.

Body/Seat:
Body is pretty much designed by one of our Transportation Design students. Will be reviewed/evaluated by the team on 1/10/09. Seat fab will begin over Christmas break.

Fundraising:
We're POOR...Trying to do the best we can at proving to the school that we're trying to fundraise money. I met with the Dean of ME and he may be giving us a $7-$10,000 "bail-out". We're planning on having one fundraiser per month next year...

exFSAE
12-25-2008, 10:36 PM
What happened to the days of doing a whole season on a $5-7k budget? Car is simple, pay your own way to comp, take a little debt on.. but its doable for the stubborn.

Hit up your alums. They got money, they understand how tight it is. 10 alums at $100 each is an easy grand.

Kevin Dunn
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
$5-7K budget, what is this Baja!?

In all seriousness, we've been hitting up companies from the past several years (back to 2002) with no luck...I'm sure we're not the only ones having trouble. The economy is probably the only reason we got into FSAE-Cali

Now I just have to talk the school into supporting us and paying to get our car/tool/supplies out there!

jaca
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds like your best bet would be to spend multiple years on this car and get the funding locked in. This will have the added benefit of allowing for a lot more design and testing, hugely useful for a new team. Building a formula car for less than ~15k will be an exercise in frustration.

exFSAE
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Dunn:
$5-7K budget, what is this Baja!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Building a formula car for less than ~15k will be an exercise in frustration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has been done before, with decent results. Kinda sucks having a simple car when you want to do all sorts of trick stuff, but hey, when it is your senior year I would rather compete with a simple reliable car than no car at all.

You can pick up a 600cc sportbike engine for ~$650 if you hunt around and don't mind stuff with all ID numbers scratched off! Stock internals, simple power commander on stock ECU (don't recall how much that cost).

You can get all the steel for your frame and suspension for ~$350 shipped and that includes length to spare. At least that's what it cost us in 07, from Chassis Shop. Cut to 8' lengths saves a lot on shipping!

Set of tires for comp ~$700. For practice, at some point we picked up a set of used 13" Kumho DOT tires from the local tire place I think in exchange for a sixpack. Those will last forever and should be pretty good for learning race line, trailbraking, etc. Hope it doesn't rain. If it does, you can swing by the Hoosier or GY trailers at comp and get a set.

If you're not a 1st year team you should have at least one set of wheels from last year you can carry over, even if it means designing around the same lug or drive pin pattern. If not, what's a set of wheels from Keizer? Looking at site, looks about $1000.

Likewise with springs and dampers, pull from previous car. If not, you can get cheapo's from Risse for I think $175 each?? Could be totally wrong. But that would be another ~$700.

Exhaust, using mild steel tube you could pick up 24' of 1.375" OD x .049 wall for $75 at Online Metals.. which would be way more than enough for primaries and extra F-up length. Maybe another $50 for the rest of the system? $125. I'm sure you could find someone around with dies to bend it. Hit up a junk yard for a muffler?

Big billet stock for uprights and hubs is a crapshoot. I bet if you scrounged around your MechE, AeroE, and CivilE labs and shops you could pick up a LOT of remnant stock or cheap stuff. If there's a waterjet place around usually they also have BIG slabs of stock from cutouts that they'll sell for pennies on the dollar.. anything from mild steel to 4140 to 6061 to 7075. Use campus machine shops and that labor is free. Let's assume you're not lucky and have to drop an additional $1000 on raw stock.

So at that.. frame and suspension steel, billet for upright/hub assembly, NEW wheels, NEW dampers, set of slicks, additional engine, exhaust.. and you're only at $4500. Obviously much less if you use wheels, dampers, engine from previous year. Little ghetto, but hey.. when money's tight..

Drivetrain is typically expensive if you get the good stuff from TRE, but I'm sure you can pick up some heavier equipment from maybe a Vee for cheap. Hell, UB has done pretty well before with a solid axle no?

Obviously there's intake, controls, cooling, blah blah blah. Double that above cost and you're only at $9000.

Point being, FSAE cars have been built on $5-7k budget before, and haven't even looked half bad. Our cars from the 00-02 era were probably around that, with a lot coming out of pocket for travel expense. With some good design engineers you could make a car that handles pretty well. Without pretty much any powertrain development you can get 100 in design (my guys did in 08). Get it built EARLY, get your drivers some experience and that is the #1 thing that will score you more dynamic points.

Competitive car can be done on the cheap! If it's a little heavy, big deal. Even if its 480-500lb, big deal. Again, kinda sucks not racking up all those design points for a light car with all sorts of fancy malarky on it.. but at the end of the day if you finish all the dynamic events that's almost a guaranteed top 35, above a lot of "big name" schools that flop out.

PatClarke
12-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Here we are , almost to the end of 2008. There is an old saying "The more things change, the more they say the same" and it is always a problem for teams to raise money.

Some time ago I wrote an advice column for the Australian teams, and I think it is very pertinant here. It was intended for new teams, but there is good advice in there for 'more experienced' teams too.
Best wishes to all in the new year.

The difficulties and challenges to start a new team and to build the first car.

I have been an observer of Formula FSAE for more than 10 years. In that time I have seen many new teams start out, some with success and some with heartbreak. I will try help new teams avoid the heartbreak.

It is easy for a team of enthusiastic young students to get carried away and design and build a car as they go along. Invariably, this is the first step on the road to heartache.

The team must have a working plan. FSAE is more an exercise in project management than it is in building a car. All successful teams have a strong and committed project leader, someone capable of making the hard decisions whilst holding the team together in times of crisis. These people are hard to find. The usual problem is that people have a need to be liked, and so have difficulty making those hard decisions.

All members of the team should have a hard copy of the rules and should study and understand them. So much heartbreak comes from teams failing at Technical Inspection because their car does not meet the rules

At the first planning meeting, this person needs to start delegation. The first tasks I see are:
• Raising a budget
• Getting College and Industry support
• Setting out a basic plan

The budget task should be self explanatory. The University or College may contribute, especially if parts of the car design contribute to individual student achievements.

Sponsorship can be gained from companies who have something to gain from the project. I always recommend that teams do NOT use the word ‘Racing’ in their official logo or team name. Marketing managers all over the world are besieged by racers asking for money to spend on their racing with little or no benefit to the sponsor. These proposals invariably end up in the trash can. Your marketing/sponsorship proposal should emphasise the educational side of the project. Refer to FSAE as an ‘International Student Engineering Competition’ or something similar as this will have more appeal.

A word of warning! Sponsorship is not free money, there are strings attached. Sometimes these strings are impossible to meet, and so that sponsorship may need to be politely refused. I recall a sponsor offering a team money only if they built a diamond shaped car.

Look after your sponsors; they are a rare and fragile breed. A good sponsor can make or break a team.

I would suggest that $10,000 would be a realistic figure to aim for in initial sponsorship, but more may well be needed later in the project.

Then there is the basic plan. What sort of car do you wish to build? There are choices in frame design, engine type, wheel size, tyre type. Some of these decisions may be made by your sponsor, for instance, a motorcycle manufacturer may donate your engine. Otherwise these decisions should be made in a pragmatic way.

As well as a basic plan, there should be a time line set. Markers should be set on this time line relating to various steps in the process up to and including the competition. The ultimate heartache is when a team does not get the project finished in time. It is the task of the project manager to ensure these markers are met. The designers will gain new knowledge during the project, and will want to include this knowledge in the design. This is okay as long as it does not delay the project. Ideas that will delay the project should go into next year’s car!

Before designing anything, the team should research what is successful elsewhere. There are good reasons why the vast majority of these cars have a four cylinder engine mounted in a steel tube chassis and rolling on 13” wheels, and that is exactly the formula I would recommend to any new team.

Your research should be based on FSAE and Formula Student cars, as their design requirements are unique. Formula 1 technology has developed to suit very different requirements. Aero performance is king in F1 whereas aero performance has little influence in an FSAE car.

Obtain access to a real formula racing car and benchmark the ergonomics! It is amazing how many FSAE cars are undriveable after a couple of laps because of ergonomic shortcomings! The relationship of seat, pedals, steering wheel and driver’s eye line is important. So is sufficient room inside the car to operate properly! If the driver’s shins are knocking against the steering rack or his elbow bangs the frame each time he changes gear, then he will be slow!

I always recommend 13” wheels to a new team. There are many reasons for this. There is more space inside the wheel to mount suspension, brake and steering components. The suspension loads are usually easier to feed into the chassis and there is a much better selection of tyres available. A valuable side effect of this is that when the competition is over and the car becomes a practice car for the next team, cheap used tyres from Formula Ford or similar can be used.

The tyre is, of course, the first and most important design decision. There is a Tyre Testing Consortium of teams who have paid to have suitable tyres tested. This data is available for a cost of about $800. I don’t think it is necessary for a new team to buy this data. Common sense would show that the teams with experience and money have chosen the best tyre, so perhaps the best idea for a new team to just copy what they are using and then learn about the tyre.

I have not mentioned the chassis yet for good reason. The chassis design comes late in the project, not at the beginning! I would recommend a new team build a tubular steel chassis rather than a composite monocoque structure. This is because it is far easier to modify or repair a steel chassis after initial testing. All the suspension and steering lessons learned can be transferred to a composite chassis in the future if needed.

Once all the rules requirements, suspension points, driver controls etc are loaded into the computer, the chassis design becomes a matter of ‘joining the dots’ in an intelligent manner.

The car should be finished to a point where it can be tested at least one month before the competition. FSAE is not where the team wants to find out the small problems that might prevent them from competing, nor is it the place to learn to drive the car.

Finally, and this is important! Write a great Design Report. This is the document that will tell the judges what you set out to achieve and how you went about it. It will become the record of your achievement along with the car.

Oh, one last thing, make sure you keep records to pass on to the next team so they do not have to start from scratch like you did.

Good luck with your project

Pat Clarke

RiNaZ
12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
they say you cant really measure someone's passion ... i say, these 1300 words might http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JamesWolak
12-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Man where is the sweet pictures of everyones progress? If i have learned anything in FSAE talk is meaningless.

Toledo, Cornell, Helsinki you guys have to be 90% done by now.

I'll try to grap some picture of our lack of progress tomorrow and post it up. (We will see though like i said talk is crap)

JamesWolak
01-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Jebus! 20 days later and there is still no pictures.

Alright i guess ill give in and post up a picture.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/Picture003.jpg

This is the 2008 car that we are doing engine development on for 2009

Asymmetric
01-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Whats the pressure drop on that setup.

Kevin Dunn
01-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Which fluid are we talking about?

Asymmetric
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Things are looking horrible over here!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/100_0982.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/100_0983.jpg

LTU Suspension Guru

Kevin Dunn
01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Those pictures done even do them justice...

t21jj
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Iowa State has a rolling chassis as of January 31st. We plan to have the car running before spring break.

Kevin Dunn
02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Rolling chassis? Says who?

PICS PLEASE! (Not that I don't believe you) I just like seeing progress on someones car, even if it isn't ours.

t21jj
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Dunn:
Rolling chassis? Says who?

PICS PLEASE! (Not that I don't believe you) I just like seeing progress on someones car, even if it isn't ours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9923/n16921423388957824382sj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/n16921423388957824382sj5.jpg/1/w604.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img23/n16921423388957824382sj5.jpg/1/)

As far as I know we've never had one rolling this early.

Kevin Dunn
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Cool. Looks like a new aero package eh? I hear that sheets with a 300 thread count or more have better aerodynamic qualities.

Here's a picture of our intake manifold for 2009 (hope it doesn't give too much away). We're getting all of our components in, so basically just need to get the suspension tabs welded on and start assembling everything together.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/Photo-0430.jpg

t21jj
02-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Cool. Looks like a new aero package eh?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope no aero

Kevin Dunn
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Damn....you quoted me before I fixed my horrible joke.

t21jj
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Damn....you quoted me before I fixed my horrible joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops...I've got nothing better to do right now, stuff in the dryer. lol

McMasteRacer
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Kevin,

I am really curious about your intake manifold, RP nylon? the metal threaded inserts are a really nice touch! but that massive hole in the side? ...rotating drum - variable intake runner length?

just curious

Kevin Dunn
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Laser Sintered Nylon12...

I knew the massive hole in the plenum would stump people...BWAHAHAHA

BIG THANKS TO SYNERGEERING BY THE WAY! TURNED OUT GREAT!

www.synergeering.com (http://www.synergeering.com)

MalcolmG
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McMasteRacer:
Kevin,

I am really curious about your intake manifold, RP nylon? the metal threaded inserts are a really nice touch! but that massive hole in the side? ...rotating drum - variable intake runner length?

just curious </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

variable restrictor bypass? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wesley
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Low speed long plenum for increased inertial ram, side entry for high rpm?

With a valve to split between the two after the restrictor...?

JamesWolak
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:

With a valve to split between the two after the restrictor...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wouldnt that break the rules?

Discretely elite
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesWolak:
f[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesley:

With a valve to split between the two after the restrictor...?[/QUOTE}

wouldnt that be break the rules? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he is saying once you pass through the restrictor you split it up.

Jersey Tom
02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Hole is for this?

http://www.gmmotorsport.com/gm_parts/ls2_05169_nos_lrg.jpg

Discretely elite
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
Hole is for this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No but thats what the small non threaded ports are for http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kevin Dunn
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Discretely elite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
Hole is for this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No but thats what the small non threaded ports are for http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, I don't think you were there when we discussed this. The boss in the side of the runner is for our nitrous nozzle, the other ports are just for the average sensors... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kevin Dunn
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesWolak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:

With a valve to split between the two after the restrictor...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wouldnt that break the rules? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of where the air would be entering I would think so because you are using more than one throttling valve (Rule 8.6.2)

Yellow Ranger
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Doesn't someone use a throttling valve like this for traction control?

vreihen
02-05-2009, 06:00 AM
I knew the massive hole in the plenum would stump people...BWAHAHAHA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is either an over-boost pressure release blow-out plug, or an in-manifold supercharger..... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JamesWolak
02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Oxford Brooks maybe you could tell us what it is. :wink wink nudge nudge:

Wesley
02-05-2009, 08:44 AM
It wouldn't be any more a throttling valve than a variable runner intake is, especially one of those rotary ones.

Kevin Dunn
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Oxford Brooks maybe you could tell us what it is. :wink wink nudge nudge: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just HAD to give it away huh? I was having fun reading the ideas..

BTW, wasn't it Chalmers that may have some incite one this? Either way...you are all wrong.

L B0MB
02-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I saw the 05 Oxford Brookes car had the restrictor diffuser in the plenum... But the plenum feed on this seems to be at the top...

So that leaves variable plenum volume?
External resonant volume feed?
Window to fit injectors in plenum?
EGR port?
Glory hole?

JamesWolak
02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by L Bomb:
I saw the 05 Oxford Brookes car had the restrictor diffuser in the plenum... But the plenum feed on this seems to be at the top...

EGR port?
Glory hole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol Glory hole. Classy and the closest to being right.

I am sorry to mislead you guys. I meant Chalmers for some reason i get those two mixed up all the time.

Isn't it Obvious?!
02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Diverting form the intake conversation.....
Here's Missouri S&T's first drive video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBJ2bBAEMU

Enjoy!

Kevin Dunn
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by L Bomb:

EGR port?
Glory hole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO at Glory Hole. I'm dubbing it that from now on...

EGR port, since when did FSAE start caring about emissions?

All of you're guys' geusses aren't getting any "warmer" (hint, hint)...

Kevin Dunn
02-06-2009, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Isn't it Obvious?!:

Enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good job guys! I have to admit, that is one of the few cars that look good with the aero package. What engine are you guys running? Doesn't sound like a 4cyl...

Isn't it Obvious?!
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
It's an R6, its just got a "proper" exhaust on it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kevin Dunn
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Isn't it Obvious?!:
It's an R6, its just got a "proper" exhaust on it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, probably just the sound manipulated by the camera...Exhaust tones are never recorded very well without distorting them.

Either way, props to you guys along with Cornell. I wish we were in your shoes...

Mikey Antonakakis
02-06-2009, 06:22 PM

that's some mad drfting yo!!!

Slide or die!

dazz
02-07-2009, 04:22 AM
All of you're guys' geusses aren't getting any "warmer" (hint, hint)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen water to air inter-coolers that would go close to fitting in that space?

http://lextreme.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5940&d=1182455149

Kevin Dunn
02-07-2009, 07:45 AM
We have a winner!

And, yes they do fit rather nicely.

Laminova Water-to-Air Intercooler. Chalmer's has used them with good results in the past. I think we may be one of the few in the States running one, let alone turbo'd E85.

Drew Price
02-08-2009, 09:37 AM

You boys gonna be able to see the cones over that front hoop there?

Looks great, can't wait to see you guys again.

Best,
Drew

flavorPacket
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:

You boys gonna be able to see the cones over that front hoop there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We certainly won't. In fact, one of our drivers is about 5'1". We're gonna have her sit on phone books for the shakedown...

Discretely elite
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
We got our 2008 car on the Inertia Tester:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/FormulaSAEInertiaTesterand09Comp-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/FormulaSAEInertiaTesterand09Comp-3.jpg

2009 Progress:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/FormulaSAEInertiaTesterand09Comp-2.jpg
Laminova View

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Discretelyelite/FormulaSAEInertiaTesterand09Compone.jpg
Lots of work to be done

Mikey Antonakakis
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
That is an AWESOME view inside your plenum

L B0MB
02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Discretely elite:

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Your front roll hoop does not seem to extend as one piece all the way to the lower chassis rails. If it is in fact one piece it would not have the minimum bend radius of 3xOD...

Plus there arent 3 tubes extending from the front bulkhead to the main roll hoop... Well I guess there is including the front roll hoop upper support braces...

Sending a pic off to the judges before comp might be a good idea just to gget the all clear

Just trying to help http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Discretely elite
02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
L Bomb:

I'm sure you have some valid points but I'm last years engine guy so I wouldn't know one way or the other. I do know that we have to submit an SEF so I think that should be cleared with that. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure the 09 leader will pass it on to our chassis guys.

scott_rfr
02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Read the rules...

"3.11.4 With proper gusseting and/or triangulation, it is permissible to fabricate the Front Hoop from
more than one piece of tubing."

Scott

Kevin Dunn
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Roll hoop is a single piece with a slight bend at the top node on the side of the chassis.

SEF has been submitted and approved.

As far as the 09 progress. We're a few weeks behind schedule. We had a couple of machine shops bail on us with our suspension tab jigs (need a 5-axis CNC due to compound angles). We've got most of our major components )except for our spindles and machined wheel centers which should be back in the next week or so...

After our tabs are welded on the chassis, we basically just have to assemble the car and finish up all of the random fab work. So, we're not too bad but I wish we were atleast rolling by now...

JamesWolak
02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Can we just rename this the Lawrence Tech hi-jacked thread?

Kevin Dunn
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL...

It was never hi-jacked. Apparently we must be one of the few teams that have either:
a) Made some progress on our 2009 car
b) Have access to a digital camera to share our progress
c) Been nice enough to not hide our car behind a curtain or in a trailer

Wesley
02-13-2009, 11:28 PM
No time for updating the forum. We have a car to build. sae.ou.edu

cliff Johnson
02-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Just wanted to say hello.

PBnG
02-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Cliff and Welcome!!!

Any plans for Mardi Gras?

It's honestly right around the corner and I can't wait to get started on my King Cakes. I have this really great recipe. There is just something great about putting a baby in a warm, moist, braided pastry and then dousing it in colored sugar. Yum.

Nutria is fantastic also. If you're in the neighborhood, you really should try it. Most people here just don't get it. It's sad, really.

Yellow Ranger
02-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Well, after a rough last couple weeks (few months actually) the University of Oklahoma's Sooner Racing Team has a running car. We were shooting for a Friday the 13th deadline but Karen’s Aprilia motor is superstitious so we finally got it running on V-day. Pics will be up shortly

Karen First Drive Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYetJTMwk5k)

Hector
02-15-2009, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sae.ou.edu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can we laugh at the guy holding the flag?

JamesWolak
02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hector:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sae.ou.edu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can we laugh at the guy holding the flag? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet this is the same guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUr4Z_peTKI

Yellow Ranger
02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Haha- no, not the same guy, but pretty much everyone on the team is, well, embarrassing to say the least...

we like to have a good time

Isn't it Obvious?!
02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Congrats Guys! Go Pirates!

Wesley
02-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Embarrassing? Aw shucks. We take ourselves seriously at least 15% of the time.

Between bringing popcorn to the lab to watch Wisconsin's webcam and soccer four square, it's really a marvel we get any work done at all.

Neil S
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Gotta represent with the Jolly Roger!

We should just vinyl it onto the back of the wing, then when Claude says it feels like his grandmother's skin we can explain that it scares the air into speeding up thus creating more downforce.

JamesWolak
02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Between bringing popcorn to the lab to watch Wisconsin's webcam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wisconsin has a webcam? Link it up. I am tired of Washington's and Carnegie's time difference messes up my viewing times.

FStotal.com
02-16-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.uwracing.com/garagecam.php

Wes Johnson
02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yellow Ranger:
Well, after a rough last couple weeks (few months actually) the University of Oklahoma's Sooner Racing Team has a running car. We were shooting for a Friday the 13th deadline but Karen’s Aprilia motor is superstitious so we finally got it running on V-day. Pics will be up shortly

Karen First Drive Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYetJTMwk5k) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mind if I ask what kind of diff you guys run?

Thanks,
WJ

JamesWolak
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FStotal:
http://www.uwracing.com/garagecam.php </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great, two more sites to add to my FSAE addiction.

fade
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice work OU. When is the unveiling?

Yellow Ranger
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys- we should incorporate the pirate in every part...

The diff we run is a clutch pack from a 2001 honda fortrax 450- we make the case and stub shafts for it. Its very very light weight but the clutches don't last too long.

Thanks Dave- the final car unvieling is scheduled for Friday the 13th (March). You should make it out!

Kevin Dunn
02-26-2009, 07:56 AM
So is anyone else rolling yet? We're stuck on getting our suspension jigs 4-axis CNC'd. Our fab lab only has a 3-axis and we couldn't find a shop to do them under $4000 until now...

We're hoping to have ours atleast rolling in the next 3 weeks (scheduled completion is March 22). Dyno car will be on the dyno with our comp. setup for some minor tuning in the next week.

t21jj
02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Iowa State update-
We've been correcting mistakes discovered when we got the car rolling last month. We are also still working on engine tunning. If everything goes as planned we will have the car running over spring break. We will be getting in our foam next week for the body molds and I'll start routering them out on our 3 axis router.

Wes Johnson
02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is so special about them that you needed to design them for 4 axis machining?

Just curious.

-WJ

So is anyone else rolling yet? We're stuck on getting our suspension jigs 4-axis CNC'd. Our fab lab only has a 3-axis and we couldn't find a shop to do them under $4000 until now...

We're hoping to have ours atleast rolling in the next 3 weeks (scheduled completion is March 22). Dyno car will be on the dyno with our comp. setup for some minor tuning in the next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Asymmetric
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't say that we need a 4 axis, just a compound sine plate. Probably not even that, I'm just anal when it comes to suspension points. Have you ever measured your wheelbase on both sides of your car and compared values, I think a lot of teams would be surprised how far off it actually is. Besides, there are 20 some odd pieces to make and we have a lot of compound angles.

PBnG
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
If the discrepancy is enough to be measured with a tape measure... "you're doing it wrong."

Kevin Dunn
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, the discrepancy relative to points on the chassis may be off, but there is no discrepancy from suspension point to suspension point...This is why I confronted FARO for a sponsorship this year.

And we are incorporating some complex suspension geometry which, like Asymmetric stated, imposes compound angles. These are done with less human error on a 4-axis but could be done on a 3-axis with sine plate...

staffa
02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi everyone!!!
We didn't managed to finish our 08 car on time due to a sponsorship problem... rod ends and bearings never arrived....
So, at last, our car is ready and rolling since november... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-6zSn4fR8

Actually we are making minor adjustments on the front hoop as the drivers felt more comfortable with an higher steering wheel.

More pictures and videos on our facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13400419060 or on our website www.dynamisprc.it (http://www.dynamisprc.it)

Bye!

Wes Johnson
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, the discrepancy relative to points on the chassis may be off, but there is no discrepancy from suspension point to suspension point...This is why I confronted FARO for a sponsorship this year.

And we are incorporating some complex suspension geometry which, like Asymmetric stated, imposes compound angles. These are done with less human error on a 4-axis but could be done on a 3-axis with sine plate... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotcha. Yeah, If you get the chance to measure a car with a CMM after you do your setup work it can do some great things for you.

-WJ

Wesley
03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
http://sae.ou.edu/images/2009complete.jpg

Superfast Matt McCoy
03-27-2009, 03:47 PM
http://sae.ou.edu/images/2009complete.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, but where's the rich mahogany?

flavorPacket
03-27-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.engin.umich.edu/soc.../Formula/webcams.htm (http://www.engin.umich.edu/soc/sae/Formula/webcams.htm)

fade
03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superfast Matt McCoy:

Yea, but where's the rich mahogany? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like the SRT hylomania continues. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://sae.ou.edu/gallery/09/SRT09-11.jpg

Wesley
03-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Don't worry, we have a dash closeout planned that will carry on the tradition, too.

ZAMR
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2748/234/34/1447710199/n1447710199_30280026_6761914.jpg

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing
Engine 09

Drew Price
03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
No car yet, but we're getting into the spirit of things....

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_JNlhJgnxXHk/SdG1jNnv8aI/AAAAAAAAA2w/osDtrP0I5NY/s640/Me%20013.jpg

Best,
Drew

Wesley
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Visibility training? Or neck effort training?

RacingManiac
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
getting used to the smell of the helmet in storage?http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wes Johnson
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZAMR:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2748/234/34/1447710199/n1447710199_30280026_6761914.jpg

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing
Engine 09 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that a gas tank in one of your wing elements?? Whats up with the hose?

Seriously though, that is a great looking car guys, looking forward to seeing it!

-Wes

Wesley
03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, we were reading some books on aerospace wing construction, and decided to save some packaging space by filling the wings with fuel! The good news is the gravity fed system eliminates the need for a fuel pump, and increases weight transfer due to the high CG.

flavorPacket
03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wes Johnson:

Seriously though, that is a great looking car guys, looking forward to seeing it!

-Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They put the fluid vent under there to reduce drag. It's very common in aerospace.

J.R.
04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fade:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superfast Matt McCoy:

Yea, but where's the rich mahogany? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like the SRT hylomania continues. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://sae.ou.edu/gallery/09/SRT09-11.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that steering wheel fall below the front roll hoop? Might want to check that before competition....

Wesley
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
That's last year's wheel, but yeah, it does.

t21jj
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Short engine sneak preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_a53DP-MrM

ZAMR
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Well Buffalo, if you really wanted to catch us on rules, you should notice something as obvious as how low the throttle body is.

Turns out that's our dyno intake, but it fit perfectly in the car!

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing
Engine & Body

JamesWolak
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZAMR:
Well Buffalo, if you really wanted to catch us on rules, you should notice something as obvious as how low the throttle body is.

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing
Engine & Body </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate that throttle body rule

ZAMR
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I empathize. It makes it really hard to package sometimes.

Scrappy
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t21jj:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_a53DP-MrM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha i love the coil zip tied to the dyno stand......jank ass dyno setups FTW!! The way it was moving around when you were revving the engine made me remember how much the singles vibrate.....

t21jj
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scrappy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t21jj:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_a53DP-MrM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha i love the coil zip tied to the dyno stand......jank ass dyno setups FTW!! The way it was moving around when you were revving the engine made me remember how much the singles vibrate..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like a unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle lol. We have the dyno sitting on big foam blocks otherwise the dyno walks across the floor. And yes we ditched the factory coil on plug design for a coil from an ls1, it works well with the Motec.

J.R.
04-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Zach Moorhead
Sooner Racing
Engine & Body </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not trying to be a jerk, it's just something that would be easier to fix now in your shop, than in your trailer at competition when it fails tech....

J.R.
04-05-2009, 07:17 AM
BTW, you have a separate intake for when you dyno your car???!?! I'm no longer an "engine guy" but don't you need to have the same intake, since it can really change performance???

Yellow Ranger
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
We like to iterate our designs throughout the year, especially with a motor we've never used before.

How are all the other teams doing? Especially those going to VIR?

Kevin Dunn
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Poor...Finally rolled for the first time today (well, Sunday afternoon). Good thing is, is that the chassis was on the table long enough that we were able to knock out a lot of the little things. All we need to do now is a drop an engine in, along with plumb the brakes, install half-shafts and run the electrical harness and it should be good to go for the most part.

We'll be cutting it close for sure..too close for comfort!

Wesley
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.R.:
BTW, you have a separate intake for when you dyno your car???!?! I'm no longer an "engine guy" but don't you need to have the same intake, since it can really change performance??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most teams have a test intake that can be changed. Pretty standard.

Vittorio
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flavorPacket:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wes Johnson:

-Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They put the fluid vent under there to reduce drag. It's very common in aerospace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean with fluid vent? Is it in the area with negative pressure?

Wes Johnson
04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...2VCw?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fz5REw5V4fmTOvIGkB2VCw?feat=directlink)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...L_Kw?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bpeXJlL1ZLd0SgK3kvL_Kw?feat=directlink)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...TWeQ?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KNLjxlTuzxjtGjo81OTWeQ?feat=directlink)

L B0MB
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...2VCw?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fz5REw5V4fmTOvIGkB2VCw?feat=directlink)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...L_Kw?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bpeXJlL1ZLd0SgK3kvL_Kw?feat=directlink)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...TWeQ?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KNLjxlTuzxjtGjo81OTWeQ?feat=directlink) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Wes, looks like quite a wide rear track on that car, had any issues with clipping cones with the rear wheels?

Also, that main hoops looks pretty low. We had to make our gigantic as at least 2 of our drivers are taller than the 95th percentile template. Found that out the hard way at tech inspection last year!

Good luck with the rest of the build http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pennyman
04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
From our unveiling last week

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m434/sjsuformulasae/FSAE%20Unveiling/IMG_2935.jpg?t=1239266161

exFSAE
04-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Kumho DOT tires? Interesting.

Wes Johnson
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh...TWeQ?feat=directlink (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KNLjxlTuzxjtGjo81OTWeQ?feat=directlink) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Wes, looks like quite a wide rear track on that car, had any issues with clipping cones with the rear wheels?

Also, that main hoops looks pretty low. We had to make our gigantic as at least 2 of our drivers are taller than the 95th percentile template. Found that out the hard way at tech inspection last year!

Good luck with the rest of the build http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliments. Right now the wheel centers are installed on the wrong side in the front and there are rear wheel spacers in (that are too long) until our new components are machined.

We are running our first full test this weekend in preparation for VIR. Most likely will not have the car painted, so it will be ugly!!

With regards to the main hoop, it is very close to the percy template and fortunately for us we have a good selection of drivers that will be legal for competition.

Thanks,
WJ

The AFX Master
04-10-2009, 09:07 PM
F-SAE USB 2009 Car # 47

We have a rolling car, almost done and adjusting bits to a first run in one or two days... Bare carbon finish on all frame stuff, we need to paint it partially yellow as usual this week

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk229/theafxmaster/CIMG5783.jpg .

Drew Price
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow.

Everyone's cars are going to look like swimming pools.

Best,
Drew

The AFX Master
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
And that chassis tightly passes the footwell template http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif... It looks big on photos, but isn't kind of a big deal when you see it personally.

Honestly we did think it would look lots bigger and weight tons more.. It's under 450 with water and no fuel, we did 470 last year

Yellow Ranger
04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Come on you VIR guys - 1 week till!

How are the ladys doing?

Wes Johnson
04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
We (Clemson) blew up a motor last Saturday while testing the 09 car for VIR.

We had it swapped out that afternoon but were unable to get it back together for more testing unfortunately.

This week is going to be fun getting the car legal and trying to squeak in some more testing.

-WJ

Mikey Antonakakis
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
We'll certainly be cutting it close for VIR.... my GPA has probably dropped a couple points for this semester in the last two weeks. Being in the shop from late afternoon to early afternoon each day will do that...

Matt_Newcombe
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Testing has been completed and the car will be heading to VIR mid next week.

http://i40.tinypic.com/fzawiq.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2552yyg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/wv4u44.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/eqat5y.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/33xy3wn.jpg

Wes Johnson
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
@ Matt:

Curious to know if your car passes the vertical template??

Looks real good, VIR is gonna be pretty interesting I think!

Matt_Newcombe
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
We're sucking up the 35 points in design since the vertical template won't even come close to passing through. The car was built to 2008 rules - the last of a dying breed.

carlosm
04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
i thought they wern't going to let you race if the car isn't even close to passing? The minus 35 points was only for teams who made a good attempt at complying with the rules but just missed it. i could be wrong...

Mark TMV
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
It's not a new car, it has a tech sticker from 2008 FSAE West. So we should be fine, other than the major points hit in design...

Thrainer
04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting the orange jacking points to be that ugly.

Matt_Newcombe
04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Even when it's Porsche orange? It's easy to see, that's for sure.

rollcentre
04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
someone from S&T just posted another video on the tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...feature=channel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkDBJDqgX4&feature=channel_page)

Luniz
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Just celebrated our rollout yesterday... my head is still aching, I may have had a beer or two too many.

http://raceyard.hanneseilers.de/fileadmin/images/galleries/Aktionen/09_04_18_rollout/IMGP0200.JPG

This is our 09 car. Somehow the body design team managed making it neither look like a whale nor a bathtub nor a swimming pool ;-)

Some parts are still missing, the first time it stood on its own feet was at about 3 AM, first body parts were on the chassis at about 5 AM, rollout was at 6 PM yesterday.

jaca
04-22-2009, 11:59 PM
wow, that's a great looking car

shame it'll probably be covered in sponsor decals, it looks amazing as is

t21jj
04-25-2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRhM16WBWQ

Mikey Antonakakis
04-25-2009, 05:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRhM16WBWQ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nice! I like the blue flames (that is what I'm seeing, right?)

Here's a somewhat old video now, with my partially-complete exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VQXTlzOYE
Note the time in the title of the video, it was a normal night, as I'm sure you will all agree! (if you can't view the video, it hasn't finished being processed by youtube yet, check back again soon).

t21jj
04-25-2009, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRhM16WBWQ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nice! I like the blue flames (that is what I'm seeing, right?)

Here's a somewhat old video now, with my partially-complete exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VQXTlzOYE
Note the time in the title of the video, it was a normal night, as I'm sure you will all agree! (if you can't view the video, it hasn't finished being processed by youtube yet, check back again soon). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's our backup engine, the tune is a little rough right now. We're tuning the competition engine now.

teemee
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Live-streaming of KA-RaceIng Rollout on April 28th

For the first time, fans and supporters have the opportunity to watch
the Rollout of KIT09 live online. From 7:30 pm CET the ceremonial unveiling
of the new race car will be broadcast live directly from the University of
Karlsruhe.
This way, every friend of KA-RaceIng has the opportunity to experience the
presentation of KIT09, regardless of his or her location.

All information regarding the streaming can be found on www.ka-raceing.de (http://www.ka-raceing.de)

teemee
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.ka-raceing.de/web-img/rollout09-1.jpg

http://www.ka-raceing.de/web-img/rollout09-2.jpg

http://www.ka-raceing.de/web-img/rollout09-3.jpg

Mikey Antonakakis
04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
^^stunning

Here are a couple pics of our progress. We drove the car for the first time this morning, even if we only had about 10 feet to drive.

Our electronics guy got stuck in our driver cooling system:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2754/238/5/124249/n124249_36882136_613197.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2754/238/5/124249/n124249_36882138_5025160.jpg
He looks as rested as I'm sure we all do:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2754/238/5/124249/n124249_36882137_5953533.jpg
The car in its test area (the entire testing facility is within the border of the picture):
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2754/238/5/124249/n124249_36882135_2527118.jpg

Car with our wonderful president sitting in it, with the bodywork being measured for mounting holes:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2754/238/5/124249/n124249_36882131_3162742.jpg

The AFX Master
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Our Rollout..

Pretty big changes since the last photo.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk229/theafxmaster/IMGP2538.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk229/theafxmaster/IMGP2568.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk229/theafxmaster/IMGP2569.jpg

Whis
04-30-2009, 09:41 PM
There is always that guy in the background doing the stupid shit with the stupid w/e in every picture isn't there. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Smith
05-01-2009, 06:31 AM
You guys put on quite a classy show. We are happy to get everyone out of greasy jeans and into kakis with polo shirts.

mok
05-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Ok now, first pictures of our new car. Great job guys! I love it! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8616/rollout114lq01.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/906/rollout114lq06.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5144/rollout114lq03.jpg

Pennyman
05-07-2009, 03:18 AM
Shweeeeeet... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We are definitely paining our car white lol

RacingManiac
05-07-2009, 05:48 AM
that looks amazing...

exFSAE
05-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Ahhh the super short VSAL suspension. Claude would have some words about that...

Looks clean though.

C.Zinke
05-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Nice Car guys. Interesting to see how the evolution of your cars goes on.

exFSAE: The suspension looks pretty much the same like on their 2008 car. Claude judged Stuttgart at the FSG and they became 2nd in Design. Our VSAL was even shorter and we won desing.... hehe

No seriously.. have you had some discussions with Claude about that?

exFSAE
05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, I have. He has very specific comments on it, regarding the relative polar inertia of the sprung mass about the roll axis, and the unsprung mass about the instant center (short VSAL dramatically reducing the latter).

Not sure if I believe his train of thought completely regarding the implication of the above. Either way, its the same setup used on the last FSAE car I was involved with in 2007. There's some justification to it but I'm no longer a huge fan of it in general.

flavorPacket
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Claude has lots of ideas about FSAE cars with short swing arms and that inertia business. Having built a few, I'm not sure any of that stuff matters, and neither is my multibody dynamics software.

cocosan
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Sponsorship can be gained from companies who have something to gain from the project. I always recommend that teams do NOT use the word ‘Racing’ in their official logo or team name. Marketing managers all over the world are besieged by racers asking for money to spend on their racing with little or no benefit to the sponsor. These proposals invariably end up in the trash can. Your marketing/sponsorship proposal should emphasise the educational side of the project. Refer to FSAE as an ‘International Student Engineering Competition’ or something similar as this will have more appeal.

Wesley
05-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Do we have mods that can pull this post? ^^ It's just part of Pat's post with spam links in it.

aiyoung
05-16-2009, 12:27 AM
imagine if Pat interjected spam links into real life conversations.

"i think you need to focus on NEW YORK ASIAN ESCORT driver training"

aiyoung
05-16-2009, 12:39 AM
you could rename cocosan to "SPAM clark"

Pennyman
05-17-2009, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
Yes, I have. He has very specific comments on it, regarding the relative polar inertia of the sprung mass about the roll axis, and the unsprung mass about the instant center (short VSAL dramatically reducing the latter).

Not sure if I believe his train of thought completely regarding the implication of the above. Either way, its the same setup used on the last FSAE car I was involved with in 2007. There's some justification to it but I'm no longer a huge fan of it in general. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM sent EX

vreihen
05-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Do we have mods that can pull this post? ^^ It's just part of Pat's post with spam links in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you report it through the abuse link on that particular message? The forum management has been pretty quick to remove any spambots that I've reported via the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it.....

Pennyman
05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Ok, to get back on topic...ish

Regarding short VSAL's

I know Claude said a short VSAL will reduce the MOI of the wheel package about the IC, but I don't see how that would cause the inner wheels to lift.

If the MOI of the wheel package is reduced, then the wheel package's ability to accelerate itself about its instant center (when initiating a turn) should increase, not decrease. The only possible way for it to lift is if the sprung mass was MORE willing to roll about the RC than the unsprung mass.

A little confused. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PatClarke
05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">imagine if Pat interjected spam links into real life conversations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, maybe I could get sponsorship?
Though there are those who say I tell the students too much already =]

Pat

Eklavya Singh
05-22-2009, 11:00 PM
What dampers are those? Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what's the thing at the end? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Also friggin awesome car by the way!! Loved the "Making of" video on youtube.

Eklavya Singh
Formula Manipal

exFSAE
05-23-2009, 07:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pennyman:
Ok, to get back on topic...ish

Regarding short VSAL's

I know Claude said a short VSAL will reduce the MOI of the wheel package about the IC, but I don't see how that would cause the inner wheels to lift.

If the MOI of the wheel package is reduced, then the wheel package's ability to accelerate itself about its instant center (when initiating a turn) should increase, not decrease. The only possible way for it to lift is if the sprung mass was MORE willing to roll about the RC than the unsprung mass.

A little confused. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said I agreed with it. Just a thing he's insistent on. Or was, anyway.

teemee
05-24-2009, 03:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eklavya Singh:
What dampers are those? Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what's the thing at the end? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are ZF/Sachs TRD "Formula-Matrix" Dampers.

The "Thing" at the end are the adjusters for high- & low-speed rebound and compression stroke

PS: Don't ask for the price....

Thrainer
05-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Progress:
Got the monocoque painted Saturday, are getting the suspension and engine mounted at the moment, and will have Rollout on Thursday.

Pictures from yesterday: http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/ga...il.ort?folder_id=738 (http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/galleryDetail.ort?folder_id=738)

Thomas

Aaron@Kaist
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Finally got our car assembled!

Posting some pics
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/aaronpark123/P1040139.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/aaronpark123/P1040094.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/aaronpark123/P1040098.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/aaronpark123/P1040136.jpg

Hope to see all of you in person at West!!

KAIST FSAE 2009
Aaron Park

Zhefei Li
05-26-2009, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron@Kaist:
Finally got our car assembled!

Posting some pics
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/aaronpark123/P1040139.jpg

Hope to see all of you in person at West!!

KAIST FSAE 2009
Aaron Park </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is that aluminum bodywork? I like the angles.

Aaron@Kaist
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
thanks Zhefei,

not aluminum, actually the body work is all carbon fiber, but as we chose a method to work without molds, the bodywork is composed of prepreg carbon panels cut and fit to make the bodywork. Thanks again, means a lot to us.

Aaron Park
KAIST

Eklavya Singh
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Too frikkin beautiful!!... Love it!!

Eklavya Singh
Formula Manipal

Mikey Antonakakis
05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
That bodywork looks awesome! And so does the rest of the car!

Aaron@Kaist
05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks again!

Wesley
05-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Agreed, it's a refreshing look, all stealth-y and cool.

Zac
05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Trying to avoid the police and their radar guns?

Looks good.

Thrainer
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Simplon is rolling, I let the pictures speek for themselves. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1061.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1052.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1025.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1067.jpg

Thomas
http://www.amz.ethz.ch/

Corey H
05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thrainer:
Simplon is rolling, I let the pictures speek for themselves. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1061.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1052.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1025.jpg

http://www.amzracing.ch/amz/files/amz1067.jpg

Thomas
http://www.amz.ethz.ch/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, my name is Corey. I am part of an engineering team that designs and builds a small car for participation in the largest collegiate design and build competition in the world. Would you like to sponsor us?

On a serious note, when competition prices raise next year I say we vote on European teams to front the extra money as sort of a bail out for us smaller guys.

carboneater
05-30-2009, 02:56 AM
the car has a nice rear part and intake system...

Aaron@Kaist
05-30-2009, 03:53 AM
i would buy that car just to drive around.

gsbhatia
05-30-2009, 04:29 AM
seriously, that looks really nice.

James Morris
05-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Wow that car is beautiful! I’m looking forwards to seeing it at Silverstone.

Here is a sneaky peak of our car in an interim trim testing in early March.

http://www.facebook.com/video/...0397&oid=25228498955 (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=205274210397&oid=25228498955)

How are you other uk teams coming along? All the uk teams seem to be very quiet this year, our exams are over so it full blown FS season now.

James
SMU

cmeissen
05-30-2009, 04:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey H:

Hi, my name is Corey. I am part of an engineering team that designs and builds a small car for participation in the largest collegiate design and build competition in the world. Would you like to sponsor us?

On a serious note, when competition prices raise next year I say we vote on European teams to front the extra money as sort of a bail out for us smaller guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it interesting that the largest decal on their car is " Caterpillar". I haven't checked but I am pretty sure that is a US based company. As was said previously I believe good team management and organization is the way to succeed in this competition

blister
05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I find it interesting that the largest decal on their car is " Caterpillar". I haven't checked but I am pretty sure that is a US based company. As was said previously I believe good team management and organization is the way to succeed in this competition </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right with that, however the european/middle east base is in Geneva, Switzerland.

I think the carbon/expensive look of this car is not a result of money only (all our prepreg cost us not more than 1800 Euro. All molds are made out of MDF wood...) but of our grown knowledge in manufacturing with carbon fibers and the fact that there is a high density of carbon fibers companies in Switzerland.

Pennyman
05-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Been doing some driver training/testing the past couple days.

SJSU fsae test day 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhP-iOyJuvU)

Luniz
07-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi there...
This happened some 2 days ago, just before the car was due to be loaded onto th truck going to Silverstone.. It's been a bit hectic to swap engines back and forth (we had to disassemble another engine in order to get another reshaped camshaft and switch anti-hopping clutches), but with 6 people basically doing a 40h nonstop workshop shift, we finally made it!
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1622/snc00059e.jpg

MalcolmG
07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
do you have a bigger picture? I can't quite make out what I'm looking when I open that image on my computer then try to view it from a building on the other side of town.

Kimmo Hirvonen
07-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess the European FS-people will see this car pretty soon but since it seems that no one from the current team has posted any pics of the new Helsinki car, I take the liberty to do so.

http://www.metropolia-motorsport.fi/uploads/images/hpf009julkkarit/auto1.jpg

http://www.metropolia-motorsport.fi/uploads/images/hpf009julkkarit/auto4.jpg

More (http://www.metropolia-motorsport.fi/index.php?page=gallery)

Jersey Tom
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Looks great! Other than the tires (make it look slow http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

Superfast Matt McCoy
07-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Looks great! Other than the tires (make it look slow http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic looking car, as usual.

Also, many things would look faster with Goodyear tires. Like my bike which has been patiently awaiting those 21" land speed tires that have been "two weeks away" for three months now.

Is there someone there that you can throw something at?

Maybe do some yelling. "Hey! Get your crap together, Matt wants his effing tires already!"

Let me know if that helps.

Kimmo Hirvonen
07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Looks great! Other than the tires (make it look slow http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure boys chose Hoosiers merely cause of the black & white thing going on in the car.

Fred G
07-15-2009, 08:30 AM
yellow on black for the win!

http://motorsport.mech.uwa.edu.au/typo3temp/pics/d37c1adc29.jpg

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Macros
11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
testing testing testing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJt_d4uwis

GT-R
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
wow..though am quite a late to reply..but i jus had a crush on that KAIST guy's car..it genuinely represents the Korean taste..i adore to make exterior n u guys prompt me to an option of that robo-esque look..thnks a lot..well done..