PDA

View Full Version : AWD car

Chad Summey
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I read in racecar engineering a few years back that someone built an AWD FSAE car. How many teams have try it. How well did it do at the autocross. I am thinking about an AWD Amod car. Was wondering what they used for front diff. Chad

Chad Summey
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I read in racecar engineering a few years back that someone built an AWD FSAE car. How many teams have try it. How well did it do at the autocross. I am thinking about an AWD Amod car. Was wondering what they used for front diff. Chad

JR @ CFS
12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I seem to remember it not being executed so well and running at the comp without it. We considered building the Ohlins 2WD system into the car which, when the rear wheels slip, uses the excess revs to drive oil to the system in the front wheels which gives you traction.

SamB
12-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Imperial College built an AWD 1A car for FSUK in 09 so obviously an e-diff. Assuming they did it right that is...

Old Greg
12-24-2009, 06:24 AM
The University of Guelph up in Ontario ran an AWD car at one point. I seem to recall, from talking with them in Michigan this summer, that they used shaft drive ATV differentials. I can't tell you much about their competitiveness though; that was that was before my time.

Grant Mahler
12-24-2009, 08:54 AM
One of the Italian teams ran rear steer I believe, not sure about rear drive, in 2007 at California. Firenze I believe.

STRETCH
12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Brunel ran a 4WD chassis a few years ago. As for the Imperial College 1A car - it didn't even run at FS!

Jimmy_seven
12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STRETCH:
Brunel ran a 4WD chassis a few years ago. As for the Imperial College 1A car - it didn't even run at FS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errm... I don't think so, we've tried most things but not 4 wheel drive.

UAS Graz's first car (jr04) was 4 wheel drive and apparently used a Torsen diff but from their website it's not obvious how the drive was transmitted to the front wheels.

Simon Dingle
12-24-2009, 01:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Brunel ran a 4WD chassis a few years ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure we didn't...

As for Imperial, they ran four independent electric motors rather using differentials. Quite a cool concept IMO. Although it was pretty heavy and as Stretch pointed out, they never made it past scutineering.

Simon Dingle
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Beat me to it James

ibanezplayer
12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old Greg:
The University of Guelph up in Ontario ran an AWD car at one point... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they're system was based on Haldex like audi TT's, Volvos, Golf R32, etc.

They've used it for more than one year IIRC.

Andy K
12-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Guelph first appeared with the AWD car in 2004, using ATV diffs and a shaft drive setup. They placed 17th.

Jan_Dressler
12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
BA Berlin (BA Motors) had an AWD car in 2007 and 2008. They used a chain drive between front and rear.

exFSAE
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jan_Dressler:
BA Berlin (BA Motors) had an AWD car in 2007 and 2008. They used a chain drive between front and rear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they related to BA Baracus?

BenB
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
I always thought this would be cool, but transmitting the power seems like a headache. I had an idea for a drive system where the engine would power a hydraulic pump and there would be a hydraulic motor mounted inside each wheel. You could even have some kind of pressure proportion regulator that would limit the pressure to different wheels to serve as the differential.

The AFX Master
12-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Things get weird when you sum the effects of hydraulic loses on piping...if you're thinking on centrifugal pumps..

Or your're thinking about reciprocating pumps?

Interesting though

Kirk Feldkamp
12-30-2009, 04:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
Are they related to BA Baracus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BenB:
I had an idea for a drive system where the engine would power a hydraulic pump and there would be a hydraulic motor mounted inside each wheel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pity the fool! ... that tries to use a hydraulic 4WD system. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

dazz
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Feldkamp:
I pity the fool! ... that tries to use a hydraulic 4WD system. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, maybe it could be possible if a system similar to this (http://www.ohlins.com/Checkpoint-Ohlins/2WD---The-Complete-Story/) was developed. More of a 'front wheel assist' than AWD/4WD, if cost and time wasn't an issue I think the idea would have some merit.

dazz
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Post coming with link to the 2wd system ohlins developed for motorcycles. They tried it on both dirt bikes and the roadies with great results claimed for both.

Kirk Feldkamp
01-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Don't get re-runs of the A-Team in Australia? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dazz
01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
No, but we do get chocolate bar adds with Mr T. (Sninkers) "Take that, toe dipper!"

roostmeyer
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Chad,

I agree with you on the merit on building an AWD A-Mod car. Even with heavier drivetrain, a turbo'ed busa/r1/rx1/whatever motor, and a full aero package I think 900lbs is very possible with driver and still give you some breathing room for ballast and a little bit of overeating on the off-season.

Have you checked out http://dpcars.net/ ? Certainly not the most elegant way of running it with 3 diffs and 20 ft of chain, but it must work somewhat well. After reading stories about the phantom and other a-mods, I'm not convinced that a well setup a-mod is going to be traction limited in a medium to high speed corner. If you're going to throw ballast at the car anyway, it would certainly help in the slower portions of a course.

Charlie
01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I think the first AWD car attempt was Newcastle at FSAE-A in 2003.

This is the epic thread from that endeavor. Some technical discussion, some entertainment value too.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...348/m/1716064943/p/1 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/1716064943/p/1)