PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold restriction

Sunil
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
URGENT!!!!!!!
hi...
at the FSAE event we are participating in,
there is an intake manifold restriction.....
we'll have to pass the intake through a 20mm dia venturi....
we were planning on using a CBR 600 engine.....
will we be able to get the specified output with this modification??? e are already behind schedule and any help is appreciated!!!!!

Sunil
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
URGENT!!!!!!!
hi...
at the FSAE event we are participating in,
there is an intake manifold restriction.....
we'll have to pass the intake through a 20mm dia venturi....
we were planning on using a CBR 600 engine.....
will we be able to get the specified output with this modification??? e are already behind schedule and any help is appreciated!!!!!

TorqueWrench
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Intake restrictors are required at all FSAE competitions. 20mm for gasoline, 19mm for E85. Venturi is rather broad, but a basic understanding of fluid mechanics should enable you to calculate what your choked flow through an orifice is.

What specified output? You haven't stated a goal, any specifics on what you have done to the engine, what fuel you are running on, your intake geometry, your exhaust style, what else is being run off the engine, etc. There are a lot of things that will affect how much power your engine will put out, assuming that is the output you are asking about, and you need a firm understanding of this before doing anything else.

Since its your second post, I will chalk this up to being new. Clearly state what you are asking without using all caps and a million exclamation marks. State research or conclusions you have come to on your own. Present data required for others to understand what you are asking for. Most importantly, don't expect others to do your work for you. Most of us spend countless hours on our engine models and CFD of the system, so none of us are going to give an answer. Do yourself a favor and use the "Find" button at the top of the page.

EDIT: For good measure, I think a CBR600 should be capable of outputting 42...

Adambomb
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Uuuhhh....this smells like troll to me.

TorqueWrench
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
He asked a question about what ECU would be best for his engine also down on a thread in the sale area. Smells like a brand new school that bit off more than they can chew and failed to read the big " If you are new here, click here and read this first..." thread that is posted. Or I am just getting too used to seeing questions like this and I am beginning to feel pity...