PDA

View Full Version : Steering Geometry

Wolverine_1987
12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello guys, i've been working lately on the steering geometry and i've read alot of books about it but i still can't figure out how accurately can i determine the location of the steering arm on the upright

Fred G
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
You can be accurate with tolerences as you'd like. It boils down to manufacturing method and assembly.

You can design accuracy into your pickup points in numerous ways. Shims, threaded adjustments, and well made jigs are just a few ideas.

Now, if you question pertains to how accurate the final assembly is to your model, well I'll leave that up to you to work out the sensitivity of the steering system...

Some questions to ask are, if your pickup points for are X mm askew from xyz location, what affects does it have on your geometry? Ackerman? Driver?

My advice is to design adjustment into your system, whether it be for tuning or assembly, things don't get manufactured to 100% CAD models unless students have the patience and time.

Regards
Fred

Wolverine_1987
12-31-2009, 02:16 AM
thank you, you're helpful

jrickert
12-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Aim for as much accuracy in manufacturing as you can and adjust it to perfection.