PDA

View Full Version : re:exhaust systems

venkatesh
04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
dude tell me what exactly means effective exhaust length ???venky.mallampati@gmail.com

venkatesh
04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
dude tell me what exactly means effective exhaust length ???venky.mallampati@gmail.com

HenningO
04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=effective+exhaust+length&l=1

Kirby
04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
wow....

oz_olly
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I like how someone has rated the post as 5 ticks. Nice!

MalcolmG
04-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I give this 5 stars for comedy value

mech5107
04-07-2010, 04:24 AM
I was here...

(Pls Pat, post something)

PatClarke
04-07-2010, 04:58 AM
What can I say Chris?

These posts are like mosquitoes, you swat one and ten more take their place!

Ventakesh,
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> You are a lazy person who isn't welcome here!
Read the several posts regarding 'newbies' and 'Indian teams' if you cannot figure out why!.

Meanwhile, try typing 'best effective exhaust length' into Google and see what happens.

Okay, swatted a mosquito. That means there will be another 10 dumb stupid posts when I check in again tomorrow, sigh!

Pat

Kirby
04-07-2010, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MalcolmG:
I give this 5 stars for comedy value </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude!

BuckeyeEngines
04-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I thought this was going to be useful information on the black art of engine acoustics. Instead it makes me laugh.

JamesWolak
04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MalcolmG:
I give this 5 stars for comedy value </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been doing that for months with these post. Helps me filter them out.

RANeff
04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
dude bro-dog-man-ski. i could totally, like, answer, like, the question here but bro- that would be way to sweet dude.

dude

broski

Drew Price
04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Let me see how much of this I remember (I was the suspension guy), since I don't get to use my engineering school words very much at work these days (because no one speaks enough English).

Venkatesh:

In this instance 'effective' does not mean 'correct method,' it means 'equivalent' in the sense that it makes the computation easier. Think of it as meaning 'representative.'

For example, the exhaust flow restriction (or turbulence, or acoustic transmission, etc.) through a louvred muffler core is not the same as the flow restriction (or whatever) through a piece of similar diameter pipe with the same length, but it IS similar to a length of pipe the same diameter that is *longer*, so that longer length is your 'effective' length.

Usually 'effective length' would only be used for rough hand calculations or approximations - if you're doing reasonably complex computational analysis this should be taken into account already (although if you're asking this question, you may not have a handle on how to model a turbulent, pulsed, transient system. But I could be wrong....)

To simplify acoustical computations you make some assumptions, and you can approximate how the exhaust system as a whole MIGHT be similar to a length of straight pipe in terms of flow restriction or something like that.

For header primary design for maximum pressure reflection you approximate the length of the tube as being the length from the exhaust valve to the first *drastic* change in cross section, usually a collector, or muffler entrance. You don't use the end of the exhaust pipe, because by the time you go through the muffler or down that much tubing the first order effect has already dissipated, and the 2nd and 3rd order effects are close to negligible (for an FSAE car &lt;--- opinion, I think there are much more important things to be worried about with the car, unless you're doing it for your PhD dissertation or course credit or something, but that's a whole other buttload of problems.)

Best,
Drew

barba_p
04-11-2010, 06:57 AM
really nice answer Drew Price
well done
+++

samphlett
04-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Don't forget the end correction: 0.85r for a flanged pipe, 0.6r for an open pipe.

PatClarke
04-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Samphlett, those figures are only good if they dont run a megaphone or stepped pipe, or if they have twin outlets. Chromed tips will reduce the efficiency and so shouldn't be used despite losing the bling factor

Pat

Wesley
04-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Pat, do you mean the angle-cut chrome tips? or the slip on tips? Or any of the above that might impede flow or acoustic propagation?

Because I do know chrome doesn't hurt fluid flow. Right?

Superfast Matt McCoy
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Effective Exhaust Length:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u3Fr9eBueMI/R9xGP7XljOI/AAAAAAAABxE/oB1cELnaB84/s400/053051.jpg

Ineffective Exhaust Length:
http://www.ecoautoninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tesla_roadster.jpg

Drew Price
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
The chrome will facilitate increased optical diffraction, and will therefore aid heat dissipation (as well as blingification, and awesomesaucemulation).

Obviously Pat is trying to blind you from the truth.

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Best,
Drew