PDA

View Full Version : Dry Sump

popopo
11-21-2009, 05:35 PM
I know that dry sump is a bit of a polarizing topic on this board, but my team is using it and I have a couple of questions for those who are using/have used a dry sump pump on their car.

Where did you buy your hose/couplings in North America?(We were going to go with SPEEDFLOW, but they are in Australia and shipping is expensive)

Where did you mount the reservoir tank on the engine?

exFSAE
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Hose and couplings... those should be everywhere, man. Summit Racing? Chassis Shop? Pegasus? Eaton?

You don't need to mount the reservoir to the engine.

fixitmattman
11-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Any local hydraulics shop will have all the fittings and hose you need. Instead of being all fancy pink or blue they'll be zinc chromate finish and standard looking black hose. Any decent hydraulics shop will either have gates or aeroquip hose, probably brennan fittings.

VFR750R
11-21-2009, 09:34 PM
The best stuff is Brown and Miller, and Goodridge. Not the cheapest...just the best.

XRP, Earls, Aeroquip, are also of high quality.

Parker is probably the biggest supplier of hydraulic lines and fittings out there, but they deal with mostly industrial (steel) stuff. They are also a good resource for o-ring information. Their o-ring catalog is very extensive.

I would consider hardlines with o-ring fittings (wiggins type) They're lighter, cheaper (if you can design your lines without using a purple wiggins clamp for retention), and stronger. But you'll have to be careful about vibration, and bind-free fitment (although o-rings can handle quite a bit of misalignment).

popopo
11-28-2009, 07:51 AM
thank you all very much for your input, I was more concerned with the placement of the oil reservoir than buying couplings

if anyone has any additional information on that, it would be much appreciated

Drew Price
11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by popopo:
thank you all very much for your input, I was more concerned with the placement of the oil reservoir than buying couplings

1) Where it will be able to consistently prime the main pump.

2) As low as possible.

3) Where it can get cooling air.

4) Where it will not contact anything moving, such as the tarmac.

5) Where you can fill it without a bloody great long schnozzle straw. (If you want to be able to check the oil level with the engine off, it will need to be somewhere near the oil level in the sump, if it's too high all the oil will drain back into the engine, and could leak out main seals and such).

6) Where it will fit.

Best,
Drew