PDA

View Full Version : steering system

trendy.abhi
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
hello to everyone, i just need to know what is the best steering ratio suited for SAE cars.

trendy.abhi
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
hello to everyone, i just need to know what is the best steering ratio suited for SAE cars.

ibanezplayer
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Trendy, You'll find it difficult to find any useful information asking questions like this here.

The other tricky thing, is that there simply isn't a "best" anything with these cars. There are a million different ways you can do something, and this competition proves it. I suggest you learn how to search, and do it often.

I would suggest starting at the minimum bend radius outlined in the rules, and working back to having around a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel to achieve this.

Having said that I'm not a suspension guy....

RobbyObby
07-29-2010, 03:04 PM
IMO it all boils down to your drivers.

You also need to take into account what steering angle at the wheel you want to achieve.

BillCobb
07-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I'd like to comment that too many car teams worried about the 'ratio' from a Gain standpoint (Yawrate or Ay by Steer), and not enough worried about the steering work dilemma: (Effort by Steer and Effort Gradient by Steer). On this topic, there actually is a functional relationship that has an optimum value range. Go look up "Steering Work Gain Sensitivity". There are specific optimum value ranges for all segments of passenger cars and trucks, manual and power assisted steering race cars, and even golf carts. Yes, the operating domain of the vehicle must be taken into account, but so what else is new...

Having a high gain car with horrendously high steering effort won't win you anything, even with a fullback driving. Likewise, a low gain car with low effort won't be competitive.

Yes, you will have to perform some engineering analysis, No, not all teams seem to want to do this. Yes, it requires some vehicle and tire data. No, you won't be wasting your time.