PDA

View Full Version : Complete motor or salvaged motocycles.

RollingCamel
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Hello, I'm a team member of Alexandria University Motorsports Egypt. We have been looking for a motor for some time and are confused whether to get a salvaged motorcycle or get a complete engine from ebay, also from a salvaged motorcycle.

If the wiring, ECU and exhaust manifold is coming with the engine, are we missing significant components that makes buying a salvaged motorcycle a smarter choice?

RollingCamel
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Hello, I'm a team member of Alexandria University Motorsports Egypt. We have been looking for a motor for some time and are confused whether to get a salvaged motorcycle or get a complete engine from ebay, also from a salvaged motorcycle.

If the wiring, ECU and exhaust manifold is coming with the engine, are we missing significant components that makes buying a salvaged motorcycle a smarter choice?

jrickert
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
We generally buy lightly used motors and have had good luck. It is a good idea to get all the manifolds, and wiring. What competition are you planning to attend?

Marshall.Hagen
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Our team has been purchasing motors already off of salvaged motorcycles. The shipping is much much cheaper when only purchasing an engine.

You can find engines that come with electronics, induction and exhaust systems. They will be harder to come by, but do exist. Those are the essentials you will need.

RollingCamel
06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jrickert:
We generally buy lightly used motors and have had good luck. It is a good idea to get all the manifolds, and wiring. What competition are you planning to attend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

California 2010.

The Egyptian motorcycle market is weak especially when it comes to 600cc superbikes. Most of the bikes are imported used ones and either less than or more than 600cc. Even worse they are mostly 90s models and expensive.

What about something like this?
Linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-yzf-r6-engine-motor-car-kit-complete-06-07_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c 39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a 1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1 e574977bcQQitemZ130313451452QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPar tsQ5fAccessories)

RollingCamel
06-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Posts has to be approved by admins!? Trigger Words!?

Never saw something like this before. Plz, wait for my reply...

vreihen
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
Posts has to be approved by admins!? Trigger Words!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is that any post with a web link URL attached now gets forwarded to the moderators for review, to stop the recent rash of spambots posting search engine optimization links. I'd post a link to the anti-spambot discussion in the off-topic forum, but it would likely be flagged for moderator review as well..... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pucksaver
06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
We got a complete engine with all wiring and ECU, exhaust, intake, throttle bodies, etc. It was a little expensive but the seller guaranteed that it ran well and had low miles. I would suggest this path unless you can find a complete bike that has been wrecked but still runs and you have the time to sell off the extra parts. Its important, which ever path you choose, to get the complete wiring harness with all the sensors. Otherwise you will be tracking down small sensors or replacing with resistors, which can be a pain.

We got our motor from gotmotoparts.com he is very nice and has a good selection.

Good Luck!

Corey H
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I know it sounds like common knowledge, but you should do a thorough test of each motor that you buy used. We purchased a wrecked bike at 2 AM on the way to competition last year from a guys garage (read: chop shop) for our spare engine. The engine compression tested fine but when we swapped it in to the car and ran it, we found that we had chocolate ice cream instead of oil in the pan http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

http://arizonafsae.com/Univers...y/Pages/2009.html#25 (http://arizonafsae.com/University_of_Arizona_FSAE/Gallery/Pages/2009.html#25)

We were able to sell off some of the old parts. You would not believe how many calls we had asking just for the VIN from the frame and a title...

Other than that one experience we have been able to get the engine and maybe a harness for around $500. This was the only engine that we have had trouble with. So it might be worth it when you get an engine to put new gaskets in it just in case.

RollingCamel
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I know but I'm not in a position to look fr choices. We are buying it from out of Egypt.

vreihen
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
I know but I'm not in a position to look fr choices. We are buying it from out of Egypt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cost and time of shipping a complete wrecked bike versus just the engine may make your decision for you, as could any import/export regulations regarding complete motor vehicles versus parts. You might want to check with a local vehicle importer in Egypt, to make sure that there's no surprises waiting if you try to bring in a whole bike.....

RollingCamel
06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I found 2 good offers, both Suzuki GSXR600 one model 2007 and the other 02-04. The 2007 is for $800 complete even with what i believe, to be lambda and temp sensors at the exhaust, looks very good and the owner is claiming that it is in excellent condition, and got a quote of $550 shipping cost to Cairo. The other one is complete but the exhaust manifold is cut and has radiator, overflow bottle and a big box. It is owned by a fellow team, so they should be more trust worthy but they are asking for $900. I believe it should come down a bit.