PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Grades

Massey_2010
07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi there, we are a new team to Formula SAE and are just starting out and hoping to make our first competition next year.

I have been reading the discussions about carbon fibre chassis and bodywork and am curious to know if our carbon is marine grade or not and what it would be suitable for.

We have managed to acquire some Newport 301 pre-preg through a team contact for a low price and we would like to know what it is most useful for on one of these cars.

Massey_2010
07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi there, we are a new team to Formula SAE and are just starting out and hoping to make our first competition next year.

I have been reading the discussions about carbon fibre chassis and bodywork and am curious to know if our carbon is marine grade or not and what it would be suitable for.

We have managed to acquire some Newport 301 pre-preg through a team contact for a low price and we would like to know what it is most useful for on one of these cars.

Benn
07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not familiar with the particular product you are talking about, but if it is for bodywork, it could be paper mache for all that it matters.

If you are planning on building a monocoque, than the fact you are asking this question probably indicates that you need to do a bit more research before proceeding.

Ask for a datasheet, or google for it.

End of the day, it's probably suitable, you just need to know the material properties and design to suit.

Ani_V
07-24-2009, 03:14 AM
We are in the intial stage of designing. Finished the roll cage with the basic analysis. Now moving onto sub assemblies. WE AIM TO PARTCIPATE IN THE FORMULA SAE DESIGN CHALLENGE to be held in Dec, 09. Please guide me as how should we plan out the process given that we have to design, analyse and if possible simulate and virtually test our vehicle. Also please tell which important softwares will be needed. We have used SOLIDWORKS08 and ANSYS for the mentioned purposes..

RacingManiac
07-24-2009, 07:05 AM
are you planning to race in Australasia in Dec but your car is not done designed yet?

Massey_2010
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
We are planning for attending Australasia in 2010.

We won't be going for a monocoque first up as we don't have the skill yet, esp after reading these forums.

We have a data sheet but we can't tell if it is marine grade or better and the supplier has never heard of marine grade.

Grant Mahler
07-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Who cares if it is marine grade or not? Look at the material properties and design to them...If you can't figure out what material properties are important, that's a clue...

Jimmy01
07-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey Hone,

I'm from the Auckland uni team, I can't help you with your question about the grade of carbon but I think you already have been given the appropriate answer...

We have a good composites team and would be happy to help you out with some advice. It's great to see new teams from NZ starting up. Send me an email to nick@fsae.co.nz if you and some of your team want to come out to our workshop and talk about formula SAE and how we approach the project.

DG
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Can't answer your question on 'Marine' grade carbon, but I see from your signature you are Bodywork Team Leader. Out of interest could I ask how many people on your team and how many in your 'bodywork team'?

Massey_2010
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh we are a small team, just about everybody is a team leader/manager. It makes us sound more important than we really are http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

JeffreyH
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Wow, it's great to see another NZ team participating. I hope it works out for you. Now we just need a few more and we can get a decent kiwi contingent.

Adam G
07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
If you plan on doing structural design with any of your composite material, you want to actually test the properties in house instead of simply trusting the manufacturer's data sheet. Each batch of composite will vary some from the data sheet. Some can be far enough off to completely void your design. This doesn't apply to non-structural body panels, but it is still nice to know how your particular material will behave.