PDA

View Full Version : braking forces

blackmamba
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi
I need some help on how to calculate braking forces on the suspension parts. Also, how do i identify the load points and the restraints?

blackmamba
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi
I need some help on how to calculate braking forces on the suspension parts. Also, how do i identify the load points and the restraints?

GianVioli
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
there is a new theory on that call FBD, why dont you try it?

This forum is not for handouts!

thewoundedsoldier
08-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Braking forces are probably the hardest to visualize in the entire suspension system. Someone much smarter than I took the time to introduce me to "remote load".

What components are you interested in analyzing? Top-hat? Upright? Control arm?

As far as braking force numbers, well we've always used "best guesses" here at SJSU. This is our first year having tire data, and BOY does it change things!

Xeilos
08-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Can you elaborate on this 'remote load' that you revealed?

thewoundedsoldier
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Sorry I didn't mean for my tone to get all mystical with the remote load thing. Basically, it is a way of applying loads within a system from an external point of view. There are a few good topics already in these forums if you search the term.

The actual application of the remote load tool wasn't what was so important to me. It just happened to be an eye-opening experience for me on how forces react through the system. I think it is impossible to ever fully understand (why so many teams break the "little" suspension components), but trying to visualize everything from the contact patch up has been a good start for me.