PDA

View Full Version : ***Fox DHX 5.0 coil damper***

Tommykyt
02-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi, just want to ask if anyone has a damper curve, a force-displacement graph or force velocity damping graph? I have emailed fox but get no reply and it is quite a matter of urgency. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif It will be a massive help and appreciation if anyone can give me this information.
Also, if I want to build a damper dyno, what size/power of motor would it requires in order to drives the damper? At the moment I am thinking of using the tensile test/compression machine to measure the low-speed damping, would it be a bad idea?

Many thanks

Tommy

exFSAE
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
If your tensile tester is powered by a screw, you'll never get enough velocity out of it to be worthwhile.

Hydraulic machines do the job quite well. See if there's one anywhere on campus? Would be used for fatigue testing most likely.

Drew Price
02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
If you use either, make sure you don't over-travel the damper, you will bust it apart, and it will make a huuuuge mess when the compressed oil goes all over the lab.

On second though, make sure you video it, so if that happens I can see. I have always wondered about it.

Our Solar Car team got curves from Fox for the DHX5.0s last year, I will see if I can get a copy to send you, I'll PM you if I find them. I'll have to ask their 'suspension' guy.

Best,
Drew

engel_t
05-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Pls could you PM me the DHX curves too?