PDA

View Full Version : maximum locking force

hamilton
12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
hi,
i have a query, is it possible to have decellaration of a car greater than cf*normal weight of the car, withoud any aerodynamic help.
one more thing, to lock up a wheel what minimum force is required, is it (cf*front normal weight of front) in front and (cf*rear normal weight of rear) in rear.
cf= coefficient of friction

hamilton
12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
hi,
i have a query, is it possible to have decellaration of a car greater than cf*normal weight of the car, withoud any aerodynamic help.
one more thing, to lock up a wheel what minimum force is required, is it (cf*front normal weight of front) in front and (cf*rear normal weight of rear) in rear.
cf= coefficient of friction

Adambomb
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes. Here's how:

1. Use a parachute
2. Use an anchor
3. Hit something very solid
4. Break the laws of physics
5. Really big magnets?

As for the second question, if you really don't know this, you need to bust out a first-year physics book...that way you can decide for yourself if we are giving you good advice or not.

Drew Price
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
As for the second question, if you really don't know this, you need to bust out a first-year physics book... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Un-necessary. Bust out the Google.

Books are for nerds anyway.

Best,
Drew

exFSAE
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Technical Director Fall '07, '08-'09, '09-'10
Suspension Team Leader '06-'07
Random Grunt '02-'06 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn dude. You on the Van Wilder plan?

coastertrav
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:

Damn dude. You on the Van Wilder plan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed that before too. Makes me feel better about myself.

Drew Price
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
Saab Technician / Performance Prep @ Right Solution </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

&lt;---- Drew has a job! I know you're all jealous!

Best,
Drew

Adambomb
12-08-2009, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:

Damn dude. You on the Van Wilder plan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, more of the 4.5 years for a BS, +1 semester internship, +4 years for PhD, +1 semester for army training, +3 semesters for deployment plan. The worst part is, that plan takes a solid ELEVEN YEARS to complete. I won't be out of here until 2013. Actually, I think that's worse than the Van Wilder plan http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Not only that, but I spent 4 years active duty Army before I even started school...I won't "officially enter" the professional world of engineering until I'm 33. But, hey, I've got a lot of stories at least.

coastertrav
12-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Eh, more of the 4.5 years for a BS, +1 semester internship, +4 years for PhD, +1 semester for army training, +3 semesters for deployment plan. The worst part is, that plan takes a solid ELEVEN YEARS to complete. I won't be out of here until 2013. Actually, I think that's worse than the Van Wilder plan http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Not only that, but I spent 4 years active duty Army before I even started school...I won't "officially enter" the professional world of engineering until I'm 33. But, hey, I've got a lot of stories at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear lord...can't say I'm jealous, but I did just figure out that I'm going to get to go to Michigan at least five times.

Worst part is that I entered UCF with an AA...

hamilton
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
we know that coefficient of friction between tire and road is maximum about 0.9 to 1.
i have also read on the forum that people are achieving decellaration of 1.5g - 1.6g. my doubt is that, how one can achieve this much decellaration. isn't it will be (coeff. of friction)*g that is 0.9g to 1g . because external force acting on the vehicle is only frictional force( apart from gravity).

exFSAE
12-10-2009, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">we know that coefficient of friction between tire and road is maximum about 0.9 to 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yea? Says who?