PDA

View Full Version : SEF: the use of steel with a less proportion of 0,1 % Carbon

Agnes
01-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Hello,

our Team has a problem with the SEF. We want to use a steel with a Carbon Proportion less than 0,1 % Carbon. So as you can read in the rules ( B 3.4.1 you have to demostrate that your steel is equivalent to S235 JL. But we donīt know to tackle such a Test. Should we make a tension test? Or is a datasheet of the material enough?

Thanks

Best regards Dynamics e.V.

Agnes
01-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Hello,

our Team has a problem with the SEF. We want to use a steel with a Carbon Proportion less than 0,1 % Carbon. So as you can read in the rules ( B 3.4.1 you have to demostrate that your steel is equivalent to S235 JL. But we donīt know to tackle such a Test. Should we make a tension test? Or is a datasheet of the material enough?

Thanks

Best regards Dynamics e.V.

Adambomb
01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Two things:

1. This is the "unofficial" forum. You want the rules forum on the official website.

2. At first I was confused, I forgot there was steel commercially available with less than 0.1% carbon. I forgot 1008 even existed...I can't think of any place I'd want to use it in a race car anyway. If you're talking about some crazy ultra low-carbon alloy, it's up to them, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about it being accepted. If it is 1008, I don't know what to tell you, other than I wouldn't bother with the stuff for anything other than random little tabs and whatnot! Unless of course we were broke, and got a truckload of it for free, then I might have to think about it...