PDA

View Full Version : e85 fuel engine modifications

mead6082
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey guys,

i would like to know what changes have to be made in order to make our yamaha WR450F engine run on e85.
Any help would be apriciated!

Thank you in advance,
ANDREW

mead6082
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey guys,

i would like to know what changes have to be made in order to make our yamaha WR450F engine run on e85.
Any help would be apriciated!

Thank you in advance,
ANDREW

Adambomb
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Not too much really, just make sure you have all your fuel system bits ethanol safe (namely anything rubber or Al), and there's honestly not much else you really need to mess with! E85 is a bit easier to tune with, being in the ballpark of 105 octane...unless you're playing with compression ratios or boost it's pretty darn fool-proof.

bob.paasch
12-15-2009, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Not too much really, just make sure you have all your fuel system bits ethanol safe (namely anything rubber or Al), and there's honestly not much else you really need to mess with! E85 is a bit easier to tune with, being in the ballpark of 105 octane...unless you're playing with compression ratios or boost it's pretty darn fool-proof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We ran M85, then E85, from 2001 to 2004, and always seemed to have a lot of trouble with cold starting. What special strategies do alcohol teams use to get the stuff to light off?

Adambomb
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rp:
We ran M85, then E85, from 2001 to 2004, and always seemed to have a lot of trouble with cold starting. What special strategies do alcohol teams use to get the stuff to light off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cursing mostly, LOL. We've never really had one that cold started well, although I don't even remember our pre-ethanol days, I was a lowly freshman back then. I suppose E85 is somewhat pushing the limit in that aspect; IIRC cold starting is one of the main reasons it has 15% unleaded. I suppose the restrictor really doesn't help much either. Sorry I'm not much more help, I've only spent a limited time tuning our engine.

wweissin
12-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Looking at our old maps. It is apparent that motor like a lot of fuel on the preliminary injection to wet the manifold down and not so much timing during starting. The injection time during starting were around 1-2ms and our preliminary injection was anywhere between 20-30ms depending on temperature.