PDA

View Full Version : Cost to Crate and Ship a Car?

mcphill
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I am interested in how much it costs most teams to have their cars crated and shipped... In this case, South Carolina to California.

Anyone who has done something similar, if you have a rough estimate, that'd be great.

Thanks!!!

mcphill
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I am interested in how much it costs most teams to have their cars crated and shipped... In this case, South Carolina to California.

Anyone who has done something similar, if you have a rough estimate, that'd be great.

Thanks!!!

dawhitaker
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Im team manager for Cal Poly Pomona this year but last year i had to get everything set up to ship our car to Germany for FSG. Your best bet is to start making phone calls to nearby shipping companies. Firgure out what you need (pickup from school or not, dropoff when it returns address to where its going, dimensions of crate, weight of fully loaded crate). Get all that information together and give the same info to all the people you want a quote from so there is no confusion. For Cal Poly Pomona, our crate was about 4' X 4' X 10' and about 1900lbs. Thats with car, extra tires and wheels, all the stuff for design, tools, team shirts, ect. We paid roughly $6500 round trip California to Germany and back, so keep that in mind when you start getting quotes. And that was air freight so if your shipping it by ground i wouldnt expect it to be too expensive. Good luck

David

Mike Cook
10-07-2009, 07:03 PM
We paid about 4k to have our car shipping from md to ca in 2007. It was crated in a 4'x8' crate. It sucked.

Mark_W
10-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Surely you are capable of obtaining quotes from shipping companies? Try a telephone.