PDA

View Full Version : 3 piston callipers

sid_339
08-09-2010, 04:55 AM
In calculating the mechanical force generated by a 3 piston calliper(2 pistons on one side and one on the other side), what effective piston area should be considered? And would the total clamping force be twice or 3(no of pistons) times the one sided mechanical force generated by the calliper?

sid_339
08-09-2010, 04:55 AM
In calculating the mechanical force generated by a 3 piston calliper(2 pistons on one side and one on the other side), what effective piston area should be considered? And would the total clamping force be twice or 3(no of pistons) times the one sided mechanical force generated by the calliper?

exFSAE
08-09-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the effective piston area is... the area of all 3 pistons.

thereallylongusername
08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
If the total piston area for each side of the caliper is equal, then shouldn't the effective piston area just be the total piston area for one side of the caliper? So a dual opposing piston caliper with 1" pistons would have the same effective piston area and clamping force as a floating single 1" piston caliper. This might seem counter intuitive, but try drawing a FBD and set the hydraulic pressure equal for an opposing piston and floating caliper with the same piston size and see the resulting clamping force for each.

Also, why are the number of pistons on each side of the caliper different?

Pico
08-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Do a FBD and you will understand why this isn't done. One side is putting 2 times the force than the other (providing the same pressure). the disc will move towards the 1 piston side and if it's pushed all the way in you will essentially have 2 pistons pushing on one side. Somewhat like a one piston floating caliper but with 2 pistons instead.

jpusb
08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I think I must ask, why do you want to do this anyway?