PDA

View Full Version : Halfshafts and Hubs

Jesse Brigden
06-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Just wondering where is the best place to find halfshafts for the torsen university special or if anyone had a set they wanted to sell. Also, how about the stubes and hubs, anyone know where they can be bought, or are they custom built?

Jesse

Hector
06-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I know a lot of teams run Taylor Race Engineering half shafts with tripod joints. They work well and are very reliable. TRE also has an FSAE representative by the name of Scotty who browses these forums occasionally. Give TRE a call and ask for him - he's always been super helpful in the past.

I know most teams custom build their stubs and hubs so that one is a little harder. I'm sure someone will post on where you can find them.

Demon Of Speed
06-09-2010, 07:52 AM
besides what is mentioned, RCV performance has some half shafts.

RollingCamel
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I want to check about something is it true that we have to leave enough clearance for the inner coupling to plunge as track changes?

I have a -5 and 2 mm max change in halftrack width so i choose a clearance that will satisfy it and the grease retaining ring (Quaife).

is this the right logic or is there something else that i'm missing?

RollingCamel
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Holy crap! The joints allow plunging itself!

Do you know by how much?

Pico
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
You could design it to minimise the plunge. The amount depends on your design.

RollingCamel
06-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I forgot to mention that we are getting rcv kit.

scotty young Taylor Race
06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Jesse,

We make two versions for the Torsen diff.
One is the tulip version 02004181 which has the housing built into the stub.
And the other is the 0200418 , this is a flange stub that you bolt up a tri-pod housing to.86mm with a 74mm BCD.
Both of these have around 5 inches of spline on the shaft so you can fit them to your housing that you fab up.

.750 is all the plunge you should need..

scotty
Taylor-Race