PDA

View Full Version : brake disc design

nl
04-21-2010, 11:38 AM
pls suggest some tech papers and study material on design of brake discs..... and design of hubs thanku

t21jj
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by nakul:
pls suggest some tech papers and study material on design of brake discs..... and design of hubs thanku

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Yeah...um NO! Be an engineer and do some research. Our job is not to give the answers to you! Also read the "Teams from India" thread and the "If you are new here, click here and read this first" thread. There is also a entire thread on reading materials. STOP BEING LAZY!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

And use the FIND button!!

moose
04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll be nice..

F=MA
Ffriction = mu*N
Your favorite heat transfer book
Your favorite materials text & google should help when it comes to what to run.

I also think it would be nifty to run square rotors, can just crank 'em out on the drill press and bandsaw that way http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gaanja
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

OH GOD!!!... WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE????? ... OK I HAVE HAD IT TOO....

@nakul:

1) Nobody...NOBODY here is just going to give you answers to simple questions like the one you just asked. You will be pasted here for doing so.

2) FSAE is NOT something where you can get to do things without any effort. People here have lost grades, years, friends and a social life to excel at what they do. You cannot just post such things and expect people to be nice to you and actually respond. Most members are very experienced. Its insulting and irritating when you expect solutions without effort.

3) This competition is aimed at making you a better engineer. Not for you to do something on borrowed knowledge and take short cuts. I think you have at least 3 batches of seniors who have done an event before you. Please consult with them before you post here. I am sure they can help you out with the most basic questions. Use the internet. Google is your best friend.

4)if you want answers to a question. Use the find button before you post. If.and only IF YOU DONT find the answer or are not satisfied with the explanations do you post here.

5)You are looking for study material and tech papers on design of disc brakes.Did you even bother to look at the STICKY THREADS, that are in BOLD which say " SAE papers on Formula SAE ", " BOOK LIST to reference for car design", " Design links sources list", and most importantly " If you are new here, click here and read this first..." on the topics of discussion?

Moral of the story
- DON'T be lazy
- DO your own work and DON'T expect people to do it for you
- DON'T take short cuts
- DO FSAE for the learning experience and not just to participate at an event.

AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE PLEASE DO NOT TYPE LIKE YOU ARE TYPING AN SMS. "ITS RLLY PSSNG OFF N FRSTRTNG" IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

exFSAE
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
This sort of thing really is enlightening. If the opportunity ever arises, I will most certainly not outsource any engineering work to India.

t21jj
04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by exFSAE:
This sort of thing really is enlightening. If the opportunity ever arises, I will most certainly not outsource any engineering work to India.

+?

vandit
04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nakul:

Let me try another approach .

I have few questions for you Nakul, which you will have to answer before i can help you out.

---Regarding Disc design ---

Q.1 Are you a first year team ? If not then what is the current system installed on your car ?

Q.2 what diameter Rims you are using on your car ?

Q.3 What brake calipers you are using in your brake system ?

Q.4 Do you have a technical drawing of your caliper? If not then can you measure and tell me the distance between the two pads?

Q.5 What manufacturing facilities are available in your College?

Q.6 Can you ask your material supplier to tell you what grades of steels are available with him and in what thickness ?

----Regarding Hub design ----

Q.1 What diameter Rims you are using ?

Q.2 Is it a four bolt rim or more ? What bolt diameter is the rim made for ?

Q.3 Can you find the Pitch Circle Diameter from technical drawing of your Rim ?

Q.4 What bearings are you going to use between your Hub and upright?

Q.5 What are your bearing specification ?

Q.6 Are you going to design hubs only for front or for rear wheels also?

-----

If you can come back with answers to above questions then we can go to next step.

nl
04-24-2010, 12:58 AM
i have gone thru the tech papers of many fsae teams(queensland,egyptian varsity,mit,heat convection,articles of optimumg...) regarding the same topic......
at this level we all realise nothing comes easy n life..
i dont even expect any spoon feeding.. taking pains to get knowledge is always gonna be a great learning xperience...
just wanted some more study material and advice on the same...so that i wudnt miss out on some goodones i migth not have read......again sorry if for any offense held..

Whis
04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm gonna be nice...

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

That should get you started. Its some basic information that should give you ideas on where to go. Personally, I agree with the above post, can you answer all of those questions?

Finally, libraries are usually a great source because quite a few schools have access to reseach papers, even SAE ones.

nms553
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by nl:
Give him a break, he's not asking for handouts. If anything he's like me a wants to know if anyone has come across good info that they would like to share.

exFSAE
05-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Can't imagine there are many specific papers on the design of just one part or another. I mean a brake disc especially.. how simple can you get?

How to design ______ part:

<LI>Define what it has to do at the most elementary level. What's its job in life?
<LI>Define some geometric constraints. For a hub, you know it's gotta fit into the wheel on one end, and into a bearing on the other.

May have to be creative if you want front and rear hubs to be interchangeable, but it's not too hard. Just another geometric constraint of having to interface with a tripod/CV housing.
<LI>Are there any material constraints? Will steel work? Aluminum? Titanium? Some sort of MMC? Why or why not? Lay out some options, pro's and con's.
<LI>Flesh out some geometry between your constraints
<LI>Get an approximation for realistic max loads
<LI>Run FEA, iterate a few steps to get a light design
<LI>Make sure it meets DFM guidelines and isn't completely asinine to manufacture.
<LI>Buy material and manufacture.

A part as simple as a brake disc or hub on one of these cars shouldn't take more than a couple nights or a week to design from scratch, once you have some idea what you're doing. Helps to design some simple parts as a soph or junior to have that basic experience going into designing some more serious stuff as a senior.