PDA

View Full Version : 250psi injector hose

taebyoung
04-19-2009, 07:41 AM
we have problem in connecting the hoses for the injector with the injecttor.
the injector part which goes into the hose is a bit bigger than the hose diameter.
if u know how to increase inner diameter of the hose or there is another way how to fit the injector with the hoses please let us know.

thanks

taebyoung
04-19-2009, 07:41 AM
the injector part which goes into the hose is a bit bigger than the hose diameter.
if u know how to increase inner diameter of the hose or there is another way how to fit the injector with the hoses please let us know.

thanks

overdrive535
04-19-2009, 12:03 PM
What?
Am I reading this wrong.
You are trying to connect your fuel lines directly to the injector with hose?

BryanH
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by taebyoung:

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please post the injector part #
(moulded into the top section)

Kemper
04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
hey, I'm in the same team as Taebyeong (K-Alpha), so I will answer in his place:

Actually what he meant to say is that the connector that goes between the hose and the injector body has a diameter (on the part that connects to the hose) which is greater than the inner diameter of the hose.

We do know that this is supposed to be like this to avoid leakage, the only problem is that the OEM hose was 1/4" and our connector (also OEM) doesn't seems to fit in a 1/4" hose at all. Doesn't matter how much effort you put on it, how much force you apply on it, it doesn't go more than 5mm.

So, the question is: if that hose is supposed to get in, is there any way rather than brute force to connect it?

We are using Aprilia SXV 550 OEM injector body / connector and Earl's rubber hose.

Wesley
04-20-2009, 06:56 AM
I thought those hoses were 5/16"

Though I may be wrong. Zach?

Just out of curiosity, what do you need to inject at 250psi?

t21jj
04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron@Kaist:
whats with the ad hominem bullsh*t, if you dont like what someone posted, you can either help him/her by giving friendly advice or shut the f*ck up. But than again I guess everyone at Iowa State Uni is just f*ckin retarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll delete the post but apparently you missed the point that Kemper got. I wasn't serious and got the response I was looking for, get over your self. It gets old answering everybody's poorly worded posts. I could post links to others in which this happened, the responses are much worse sometimes. And for the record it was a movie quote. Thanks for the clarification Kemper.

exFSAE
04-20-2009, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you dont like what someone posted ... [give] friendly advice or shut the f*ck up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But than again I guess everyone at Iowa State Uni is just f*ckin retarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is 'irony' the word I'm looking for... or 'hypocrisy'?

Oh well.

Kemper
04-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Ah, I forgot to mention the 250psi thing...

Is not that we are injecting at 250psi, but Earl's hoses are (at least the rubber ones we got) rated 250psi. We thought that this could add some information about tube hardness.

Interesting fact is that Aprilia OEM hoses (1/4, i just re-checked) are as hard as ours, but only at the end they were matched to the connector they are pretty soft. Maybe heating up? May sound retard, but the heated part will be on the connector, housed by a clamping thing (forgot the name of those things... bracer?), so basically no potential danger in weakening that part.

anyone with ideas?

kapps
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Have you tried sticking the end in boiling water and then immediately try to push it on the connector?

fixitmattman
04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Heat up the hose with warm water or generous use of silicone spray both work well for fitting small hose on big fittings. I would tend to say the silicone works better from my experience and is typically the method I use. Can regularily fit 1/4" fuel injection hose over 5/16" barbs with ease. Although the 250lb stuff will definately be more stiff so you'll need to push more.

Kemper
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
hmmm
sounds something. I might have some issues looking for silicone spray (sometimes is hard being a foreigner who doesn't speak the country's language)

I tried with WD40 thou. The conclusion I came was that "goes in with ease, goes out with ease". Its kinda frustrating when you struggle to insert 5mm just to see it coming out naturally thanks to the lube. Wouldn't similar thing happen with silicone spray?

Mikey Antonakakis
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Wd-40 fixes anything

Adambomb
04-20-2009, 05:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> quote:
if you dont like what someone posted ... [give] friendly advice or shut the f*ck up.

quote:
But than again I guess everyone at Iowa State Uni is just f*ckin retarded.

Oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@ Aaron: Indeed, them's fightin words. BTW, anyone else use vulgar language in their post? Hmm...not here. Way to go, you've just embarrassed your team. With that said, it's pretty hard to answer a question that isn't asked clearly, and that happens way too often around here, so most "old timers" on the forums have already expended all patience on inane questions.

@ exFSAE, I'm really not sure on that one. Our entire team gets called retarded, yet we don't seem to have any problem connecting our fuel injectors to our fuel lines. I'd say irony and hypocrisy both work well here.

With that out of the way, I've found that dish soap does a really good job of making rubber parts slide onto (or into) metal parts. Better than oil, since the rubber absorbs the oil and expands. I haven't tried silicone spray, probably works good too.

fixitmattman
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried with WD40 thou. The conclusion I came was that "goes in with ease, goes out with ease". Its kinda frustrating when you struggle to insert 5mm just to see it coming out naturally thanks to the lube. Wouldn't similar thing happen with silicone spray? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Once you install clamps it'll stay fine. I don't know what kind of fitting you're using that it just slides right off of, any barbed fitting or something with a rolled edge/flare should retain the hose.

I forgot about the soap mentioned above, that also works well.

Kemper
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Iowa people, this thread started wrong, got bad quickly, and now is worse. I personally have nothing against you guys and I believe that my teammates (as well as I) are having a hard time dealing with our first F-SAE car. I would like to apologize for the situation on behalf of my team. We have a lot to learn from you guys (not only Iowa, but all the FSAE seniors) and this kind of pointless discussion just creates barriers on the exchange of knowledge.

Now, about the thread subject:
Our connector is not barbed, but the one with the rolled edge. We found out that the hose can actually drive the connector out (given some minutes to do so) because of its hardness. So we did some heat, WD40 and a shitload of patience and effort and managed to put in. Now the lines are doing good. Thanks for the help!

Now, dumb questions: hoses do absorb oil? So this would mean that WD40 actually "helps making it worse"? And, this would also mean that part of the oil from the oil system also gets absorbed eventually by the hoses?

t21jj
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kemper:
Hey Iowa people, this thread started wrong, got bad quickly, and now is worse. I personally have nothing against you guys and I believe that my teammates (as well as I) are having a hard time dealing with our first F-SAE car. I would like to apologize for the situation on behalf of my team. We have a lot to learn from you guys (not only Iowa, but all the FSAE seniors) and this kind of pointless discussion just creates barriers on the exchange of knowledge.

Now, about the thread subject:
Our connector is not barbed, but the one with the rolled edge. We found out that the hose can actually drive the connector out (given some minutes to do so) because of its hardness. So we did some heat, WD40 and a shitload of patience and effort and managed to put in. Now the lines are doing good. Thanks for the help!

Now, dumb questions: hoses do absorb oil? So this would mean that WD40 actually "helps making it worse"? And, this would also mean that part of the oil from the oil system also gets absorbed eventually by the hoses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider the matter dropped, good luck with getting your car completed.

Adambomb
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
No hard feelings here either. As for the rubber and oil situation, it's sort of a double-edged sword as it makes the rubber expand a bit, but also softer and easier to work with. I've seen this with o-rings mostly, although with reinforced hoses it may not be so noticeable. Also could be a different rubber compound or something. At any rate I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the rubber deteriorating, since fuel is also petroleum-based and it's obviously OK with that. As I see it, if you got it on, and it works, and it doesn't look damaged or anything you ought to be in good shape, although keeping a close eye on it is a good idea.

Good luck with your first car, it's so much work to get a running car when you have nothing to start with.

Aaron@Kaist
04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you dont like what someone posted ... [give] friendly advice or shut the f*ck up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But than again I guess everyone at Iowa State Uni is just f*ckin retarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im glad you got the fact that I was using a fallacy to refute one. I have nothing against that person, or his university, just simple making a statement that uncogent remarks like that have no basis for existing in this forum; one that exists in my understanding for learning and the sharing of beneficial information. I have got a lot of good encouragement and motivation from this forum, I just hate to see it tarnished. Post erased per the causal post be erased as well.

t21jj
04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
In order for that learning environment to work such questions need to be worded such that they are readable and provide enough details such that we can help. If neither of these exist don't expect a helpful response in return, Kemper's post is a good example of a good post. Good luck with the car Aaron I know it's not easy to get a car done.

Aaron@Kaist
04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t21jj:
In order for that learning environment to work such questions need to be worded such that they are readable and provide enough details such that we can help. If neither of these exist don't expect a helpful response in return, Kemper's post is a good example of a good post. Good luck with the car Aaron I know it's not easy to get a car done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that would have been a perfect reply to the first quote. Im sure with your experience in this forum, there was one point in time when you realized there were certain things you should ask and certain things you shouldnt. As well as avoiding questions that would provoke replies such as "you want us to make the car for you too" etc....we'll hope that for taebyoung, this post and involvement with this thread was his time to learn, and thank you for understanding and wishing us luck with our car.