PDA

View Full Version : 2005 r6 engine modifications

Aaron L
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I am in charge of the engine internals for the FSAE team at the University of Minnesota. I am wondering what other teams have done to the internals of their engines?

Aaron L
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I am in charge of the engine internals for the FSAE team at the University of Minnesota. I am wondering what other teams have done to the internals of their engines?

TorqueWrench
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
It really comes down to what your goal for your vehicle/engine package are. I am not familiar with the R6s (or any 4 cylinder for that matter), so I cannot say for sure what others have done to it. Do a search on the forums and see what comes up.

UB has changed the cam, connecting rods, pistons, rebalanced the crank, lifters, pushrods (twice), rockers (twice), spring/retainers (twice), valves, upgraded the lubrication system and ported the heads of our engine. Block has had a few modifications made to it for the EFI system and to avoid self-clearancing parts.

Aaron L
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I guess what I am really looking for is a place to buy aftermarket parts, especially vavle springs and valves.

TorqueWrench
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
As with most things that get asked for on this forum, and do to the fact i am feeling oddly sarcastic, look here. (http://tinyurl.com/yd478xr)

Adambomb
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron L:
I guess what I am really looking for is a place to buy aftermarket parts, especially vavle springs and valves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the selection is definitely smaller for the 600s, in general. I'm guessing that has more to do with the fact that the factory has already gotten the engines pretty far, and most people will total the bike before they need to do anything else with the engines. Dirtbikes, on the other hand, tend to get modified and rebuilt much more frequently. In fact, my old roommate motocrosses, and he consumes something on the order of one new dirtbike worth of parts every year, or so it seems.

BuckeyeEngines
12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Je pistons provides a small discount to all FSAE teams. Obviously lightening the crank is an easy beneficial thing to do. Be careful to understand the reasons behind your internal modifications. For example the judges wanted to know why we lightened the crank in our F4i. We presented them with data on a test rig we made showing 28 % reduced inertia. I would reccomend you look at APE for crank work, as well as cylinderhead work. I am sure you are aware that the two items that will make the biggest difference are your intake and your exhaust. The single best engine modification that will have a direct impact on lap times is a slipper clutch. This is provided you are making some good power to begin with. We were able to eliminate rear brake chatter completely and thus are able to brake harder, it also made the car easier to drive.