PDA

View Full Version : DTA S80 ECU

ebashevkin
09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
We're looking at switching from a PE ECU to something more advanced this year, to enable us to experiment with launch control, traction control, shift without lift, etc. I'd been looking at the Motec products initially, but they're really expensive. I recently discovered the DTA S80 ECU, which seems to have all the functionality we're looking for.

Has anyone had experience running this ECU and know if there are any large problems with it, or if it's generally difficult to use and get working, or if there's a reason more teams don't run it? I'd appreciate any insight into their product.

Thanks,
Eli

ebashevkin
09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
We're looking at switching from a PE ECU to something more advanced this year, to enable us to experiment with launch control, traction control, shift without lift, etc. I'd been looking at the Motec products initially, but they're really expensive. I recently discovered the DTA S80 ECU, which seems to have all the functionality we're looking for.

Has anyone had experience running this ECU and know if there are any large problems with it, or if it's generally difficult to use and get working, or if there's a reason more teams don't run it? I'd appreciate any insight into their product.

Thanks,
Eli

Numchuks
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
We upgraded from the PE as well to run the S60 from '08-'09 and then to the S80 for last year's build.

Haven't had any major issues with it. Easy to follow menus. There's always some kind of new firmware update (I think they're on v57.00 now). The user manual leaves a bit to be desired in some places as far as parameter and function descriptions go (see no-lift-shift paragraph below), but as a whole it does it's job as a manual when you need to know how to use a feature.

Sounds like you've done your homework on DTA's products. I recommend going to their download page and downloading the manual, wiring diagram and DTASwin (the engine management software). Poke around, do some reading then decide for yourself if its something you find easy to work with! I don't know enough about Motec, Bosch or any other ECU manufacturer to comment on their products but try get your hands their manuals/diagrams and software (if available) and see for yourself.

If you're leaning towards a DTA product - and being a FSAE team who needs every dollar in their pocket as they can get - ask yourself if you can justify paying more for the S80 over the S60 for the extras it has, and will you even use them:

- 16 hours of data logging versus 8
- 2 Lambda inputs versus 1
- 8 Coils/injectors versus 4
- 5 Auxiliary inputs versus 3
- 4 Wheel speed sensors (WSS) versus 1

The software is the same for each ECU.

As I've used both the S60 and S80 one thing I should note is that for the S60, launch and traction control both use the single WSS on an undriven wheel as a function input. Launch control works great, provided you set it up properly. At first I was concerned that using one undriven WSS for traction control would cause the system (thus engine, thus car) to respond differently for a left turn situation and right turn situation (ie: inside wheel turning slower than outside wheel). But from personal experience tuning traction control settings in the S60, by the time we had it dialed in the driver was being an absolute lunatic with the car and struggled to get it to spin out, both left turn and right. He said he noticed absolutely no difference between both turning scenarios. And by complete lunatic I mean lock to lock, foot to the floor, in the rain. After he had his fun with throwing the car around he did also comment that the system settings gave him enough time with enough control remaining to react such that he wouldn't spin out. I haven't had the opportunity to play with the traction control feature with the S80 (due to lack of testing time) but 4 wheel speed sensors will make for better system response, provided you can set it up properly.

The no-lift-shift feature is great, only after reading that section in the manual a million times over to fully understand how the feature worked. But be aware that you're going to need some hardware and sensors on your car in order to use it.

I could go on and on about my experiences the S60 and S80 but I don't want to spam the page. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Keep doing your homework and gather as much info as you can before making a purchase.

-Dan

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Just to let everyone know we are making BETA units of our new ECU, the PE-ECU-3 system available to FSAE teams this year. The new system has much more capability than our old system for about the same cost and is still very easy to use. We are looking for FSAE teams to provide feedback on the new system as we move into full production. New features include:

- True Sequential injection/ignition
- Huge fuel and ignition tables
- Ethernet communication for easy wireless tuning
- Standard on board data-logging
- Peak and Hold injector support
- (10) digital outputs including PWM capability
- Closed loop with adaptive
- (7) digital inputs with speed measurement capability
- (8) Extra analog inputs for logging or modifying fuel/ignition
- Staged injection
- Full time CAN bus
- And much much more.

Contact me offline for more information or if you would be willing to provide some feedback on the new system. We can provide tuning software to people willing to give some feedback.

Thanks.

Marshall.Hagen
10-15-2010, 06:15 PM
For the three years I was at WWU we ran an S80. The feature count for the price is hard to beat.

Everything worked well. Traction Control, launch, etc.

A couple things that nagged me every now and then, but otherwise a well featured piece of hardware.

I should note that Allan (DTA Owner) added a new feature a few firmware releases ago due to some testing we did with injector timing versus engine speed. Instead of a fixed value, there is a full map of RPM vs Injector Timing. Good results from this http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SinCitiesSin
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello i am a member of SAE and im in charge of making a driver display that turns on led's based on the engines rpm. Im using an arduino micro controller for communication and IO.
This is my idea i want to send the identifier 0x2000 to CAN L so that i can get the RPM TPS% Water Temp and Air Temp. The only data i need is the rpm so i was hoping to send the signal to can L and receive the signal through CAN H which i assume is a 16 bit signal in which i would only analyze the first 4 bits and toss the rest. If anyone has experience with this i would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Michael