PDA

View Full Version : turning radius

mayuri
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi friends!!

Does anyone of you have any idea as to how to find the min. turning radius through a formula?

thanks

mayuri
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi friends!!

Does anyone of you have any idea as to how to find the min. turning radius through a formula?

thanks

AxelRipper
11-14-2009, 04:43 AM
im not a suspension guy, so i really cant help you with the theory, but i can tell you that the radius nears zero in real life conditions...

The_Man
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.eland.org.uk/steer_download.html

try this.. its for tricycles but can be extrapolated to 4 wheels easily.

Actually was looking for an other similar spreadsheet.. but this should do.

Lathe Bear
11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah just assume your wheels only turn about 2 degrees. Should give you a radius somewhere around 150 ft. Just make sure your driver anticipates turns about 10 minutes in advance.

Tim.Wright
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Mayuri,

We made a simple plan view 2d sketch in solidworks the other year to estimate the turning radius. Basically 4 lines representing the wheel centres. Then add another 4 lines on top of those representing the slip angle. Then you take a perpendicular line from the slip lines and where they all (approximately) meet would be your turn centre.

By changing the slip angles in the sketch you will see the turn centre move. You will learn a lot more about the vehicle this way than by using any formula. Especially if its one you didn't derive yourself.

I also think it will give you a more accurate answer than a simple formula.

Tim

exFSAE
11-15-2009, 06:21 AM
2.5 revolutions lock to lock, holy hell that's a lot. 900 degrees???

I'd aim for more like 200.

Zac
11-15-2009, 08:29 AM
12.7 mm? You might want to check either your units or your math because that looks unreasonable to me.

you also might want to double check your rack position and steering arm length. It seems like you came up with some numbers that will result in severe interference issues.

Instead of blindly copying equations that you find online or using spreadsheets from god-knows-where, I would suggest that you roll up your sleeves and do some actual engineering. You might want to consider trying to work form first principles for this.

But if you still want to copy something, I would suggest using a modification of the Ackerman steering equation (there are a couple assumptions that don't apply to FSAE but do apply to horse carriages...). It will let you figure out:

- roughly what your turning radius needs to be to get around the course
- what kind of a steered angle you need to get that turning radius
- what kind of steering ratio you need in order to get from lock to lock with 200ish degrees of steering wheel input. 2.5 turns is too much.

Tim.Wright
11-15-2009, 11:37 AM
...What Zac said

I give up

Tim

exFSAE
11-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Maybe he's going to use a handbrake.

Mikey Antonakakis
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Slide or die!

woodsy96
11-16-2009, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
Maybe he's going to use a handbrake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dammit, I knew our car was missing something...