PDA

View Full Version : Lap time simulation

speedfreak24.7
07-13-2019, 01:43 PM
I am a first year (going on second) and I was researching lap time simulation. I got through CS160, so I know a little python. The search function is going bananas. Any suggestion for sources of where to start coding a lap time simulation. I have found resources like matlab and what not. But they just discuss it at a high level without getting into how to code it. I own the nowlin, milliken and rowley books. The 2 most prominent suggestions were from people that make software for simulation...which were buy my software. lol. Is there a race car simulation for dummies?

DougMilliken
07-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Any suggestion for sources of where to start coding a lap time simulation.
If you want to see what others have done, there is a lot of info on this forum. The Search isn't very good so use Google site search, this string gave me ~60 hits, many of them are worth reading:
site:fsae.com "lap time simulation"

If you want cookbook code, that's going to be harder to find!

Claude Rouelle
08-01-2019, 03:46 PM
OptimumLap is free of charge. It is simplified but still useful mass point lap time simulation software. It will give you a good idea of of the minium your software should be doing.

DougMilliken
08-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Welcome back FSAE.com ! Not sure what was wrong, but it's been several days (or a week) that I couldn't access the site.

anthony_gr
08-27-2019, 07:04 AM
A good book of equations is The Science of Vehicle Dynamics by Guiggiani. It's similar to RCVD, but contains a lot of the lower level math and equations to start making a lapsim.
The OptimumG technical papers are also a good reference.