PDA

View Full Version : Bearing selection

JSR
10-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I'm an old member from Lund Uni in Sweden, and I'm currently working on a fsae-styled car. Currently I'm trying to decide which bearings to use, and looking into TRB.

Does anyone know if there is a bearing company that sells sealed tapered roller bearings?
I've checked with SKF, but all their bearings are non-sealed.
Looking for a bearing with ID of 65mm btw.

Posting a picture on the intended rim design aswell ;)

tim_pattinson
10-31-2018, 10:41 PM
Not sure if they are tapered roller bearings, but Taylor Race have a lot of bearings (and other stuff) for FSAE size cars
https://www.taylor-race.com/catalog/1068

JSR
11-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Not sure if they are tapered roller bearings, but Taylor Race have a lot of bearings (and other stuff) for FSAE size cars

Unfortunately they don't have what I'm looking for.

mech5496
11-13-2018, 02:47 AM
All tapered roller bearings I have come across are open units as an inherit result of their design. You could use seals, but it does not make much sense to me. OEMs often rely in packing them tightly with grease (especially on wheel hubs) to avoid contamination.

JSR
11-14-2018, 11:46 AM
All tapered roller bearings I have come across are open units as an inherit result of their design. You could use seals, but it does not make much sense to me. OEMs often rely in packing them tightly with grease (especially on wheel hubs) to avoid contamination.

Well, that is my conclusion as well as I not been able to find a fully enclosed tbr.

Using seals would be my #2 option, as they would let grease out, but would keep debris out of the bearing. Why do you feel like that doesn't "make sense"?

mech5496
11-22-2018, 05:21 AM
Mainly due to added weight (extra length, lips to seat the seals against), and secondly due to added drag.