PDA

View Full Version : New engine capacity regulation

StefStam
09-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Hello,i am Stefanos Stamoulis, lead designer of TEI WM Racing Team from Greece. As we all know,the 2017-2018 FSAE Rules increased the engine capacity restriction from 610 cc to 710 cc. What are your thoughts about that rule??? In my humble opinion
this have allowed teams to choose a wide range of motorcycle engines. Also this seems to be a good chance for single cylinder engines to rise up in the FSAE competition, like the Yamaha XTX 690 (which is common here) and KTM 660 engines. Those are
beasts looking at the torque they produce.

Jay Lawrence
09-19-2016, 10:30 PM
I think it's a good move and I'm looking forward to seeing the new developments. That being said, the committee could simply have removed the capacity limit altogether. The restrictor makes larger capacities pretty redundant anyway, along with the extra mass of bigger engines. As has been discussed many times in these forums, there's great scope to reduce the rule book, and this could have been a big step in the right direction.

Pat Clarke
09-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Great in theory Jay..... Until some lunatic with a blown, over bored Hyabusa decides to give it a burl without the restrictor :-)

Pat

Mitchell
09-20-2016, 01:57 AM
Great in theory Jay..... Until some lunatic with a blown, over bored Hyabusa decides to give it a burl without the restrictor :-)

Pat

How is this any different to a 600cc sport bike engine running the stock airbox? I think your key word is "lunatic" and whether it's 600cc or 1200cc they are going to do it anyway.

MCoach
09-20-2016, 11:52 AM
How is this any different to a 600cc sport bike engine running the stock airbox? I think your key word is "lunatic" and whether it's 600cc or 1200cc they are going to do it anyway.

I don't think engines that dominate the top 5 at each competition will change greatly, but it gives a more diverse selection and therefore lower barrier to entry by being able to consider some more locally available motors.
There isn't a large weight difference between some of the 600+ cc motors (or those able to be stroked/bored to get there) and the ubiquitous 450 singles. Might be some surprises on the horizon.

Freddie
09-20-2016, 02:19 PM
I don't think engines that dominate the top 5 at each competition will change greatly, but it gives a more diverse selection and therefore lower barrier to entry by being able to consider some more locally available motors.
There isn't a large weight difference between some of the 600+ cc motors (or those able to be stroked/bored to get there) and the ubiquitous 450 singles. Might be some surprises on the horizon.

Also, there's at least one aircooled twin that fits into the new regulations. If I was still in a team I would have looked into that engine, now I'm just hoping for some Italophile (is it called that? Like anglophile but for Italian things) to think about Monsters ...

jd74914
09-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Also, there's at least one aircooled twin that fits into the new regulations.

What is it? (Not very well versed on different bike motors here...)

One the surface the Raptor 660 seems like it could be a neat engine to try out. It seems to be cheaper around here than the standard 450s, though I have no idea on the weight.

MCoach
09-20-2016, 04:51 PM
What is it? (Not very well versed on different bike motors here...)

One the surface the Raptor 660 seems like it could be a neat engine to try out. It seems to be cheaper around here than the standard 450s, though I have no idea on the weight.

Ducati Monster 696

80hp @ 9,000rpm
51 ft-lb @ 7,750rpm

darges
10-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Another engine that now comes in to play now is the Triumph 675. We contacted them about engine weight and they gave us numbers regarding engine weight, but I think it must've been with full air box and exhaust. I recall it being ~150 lbs or so. We didn't really pursue using this engine but they sure do sound good.

NickFavazzo
10-18-2016, 08:15 PM
I've ridden the 675 on track (I race on an R6) and the engine has immense torque and it feels very smooth, If I had my time again, I would certainly be looking at that engine a bit harder.

cajunboy
10-20-2016, 12:21 AM
Are you looking at 675 from the daytona or the street triple? are internals exactly the same on those? Street Triples peaks about 3k RPM lower than the daytona....9500ish vs 12500ish......not sure if that's just due to EFI/ignition settings or if internals are slightly different.