PDA

View Full Version : SAE J79 - Brake disc thermocouple installation

Sam. B.
08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any team have ever tried to put some thermocouples inside their brake pad as per SAE J79.

Thank you!

Swiftus
08-31-2016, 08:27 PM
I have done it on full size cars. There really isn't much room on appropriately sized FSAE car brakes for thermocouples. How about an IR sensor aimed at the edge of the pad or on the disc?

BillCobb
08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
What are you investigating? Brake pad efficiency? Brake rotor temps ? Thermal efficiency (effectiveness) ?

I have one of these http://www.flir.com/flirone/ios-android/ $250 direct from FLIR.COM Wait til you see what tire temps look like. Also exhaust header madness and radiator flow.

And arthritus in older engineers who still play hockey...

NickFavazzo
09-01-2016, 08:17 PM
UWAM have stuck thermocouples inside their pads around the 2005 era (before my time) They were used on a lathe (brake dyno) and then on a car to verify a few things, as I understood, they worked, but were pretty fiddly. I'm not familiar with SAE-J79 so I can't tell you if they were done in accordance with it.

Charles Kaneb
09-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Ok, now THAT is cool. Look out for one of those at East Lansing Kart Track once I come up with an advantage to gain and a test plan.