PDA

View Full Version : Rcv Quaife spline.

RollingCamel
07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
We have just recieved our complete axles from rcv. The inner coupling has 27 teeth however our Quaife has 23 tooth. Still waiting a reply from rcv but what is going with Quaife?
This mix up is critical!

RollingCamel
07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
We have just recieved our complete axles from rcv. The inner coupling has 27 teeth however our Quaife has 23 tooth. Still waiting a reply from rcv but what is going with Quaife?
This mix up is critical!

RollingCamel
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
We proceeded with machining the splines. We are lucky that the required new major diameter is less than the old minor diameter.

The coupling was first machined on lathe to the required new major diameter. However, when we proceeded with splining the part turned out too hard and caused lots of vibrations on the mill. So we had to stop not to ruin our piece.

Last choice was to anneal the required area, machine it then heat treat it again. The first 2 parts are I'm ok with but I've never done or specified a heat treatment before.

Checking the web and some books, but i would appreciate any info.

thewoundedsoldier
07-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Our baja team machined some crazy 86XX steel this year. It was nuts, but it seemed to work without heat treating. I wonder what your feed rate and sfm are?

I would think that heat treating post-machining would lead to warping of the spline. In most parts a small amount of warping wouldn't be THAT important, but in the case of a splined shaft it would be critical. IMO you should exhaust all attempts to machine the 4340 as-is.

What is interesting to me is that you were able to lathe an interrupted cut just fine, but can't mill it. In my experience mills are stronger than lathes, but I guess it depends on your shop.

RollingCamel
07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Dunno about the feed rate and sfm but i believe that they were overdoing it.