PDA

View Full Version : FSAE electric - rule EV4.11.1 clarification

Renato
05-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi,

With regards to rule EV4.11.1 in which says:

"EV4.11.1 A circuit that is able to pre-charge the intermediate circuit to at least 90% of the current accumulator
voltage before closing the second AIR must be implemented. This circuit must be disabled by a deactivated
shutdown circuit, see EV5.1. Therefore the pre-charge circuit must not be able to pre-charge
the system, if the shutdown circuit is open."

In our shutdown circuit, the AIR's close simultaneously. We added a third relay to pre-charge the controller before it has been energized. The pre-charge circuit is embedded in the controller and it is activated through a switch. So, as soon as the controller receives the input from the switch, the pre-charge circuit will actuate and send a signal to the third relay coil, closing it and energizing the controller.

I have a sketch for this circuit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w40dlfy3obzk5j/Capturar.PNG?dl=0

My interpretation of this item is to avoid inrush currents when energizing the controller, that's why it is saying to close each AIR at a time. But using a dedicated pre charge relay I don't seen any issue in closing both AIR simultaneously.

Does anyone knows if it would be acceptable?

Regards,

Renato Vidaurre

Pat Clarke
05-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Renato,

This is not the place to ask for a judgement on a technical issue. All you can get here is opinion, sometimes well intentioned opinion, but still just opinion.

To get a proper answer to your query, you need to submit it to the rules committee of whatever event you have entered (or intend to enter).

Regards

Pat Clarke