PDA

View Full Version : aluminium carbon fibre bonding

solex
08-05-2010, 05:14 AM
is it necessary to sandwich glass fibre layer in between aluminium and carbonfibre while making aluminium-carbon fibre composite???????????
in that case wat epoxy and hardner wud be used?????

Rotary Sprocket
08-05-2010, 06:27 AM
There is no one answer for this. The best solution is to do some research (contact some composite companies) and then test a bunch of theories. That is the only way you're going to find out what does and doesn't work. To get started I would investigate some of the Hysol epoxy adhesives. That's what we use for all of our bonding.

Jared Martin
08-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I had this discussion with our chassis team leader and some alumni this evening. The aluminum honey comb cores we run are anodized to resist the reaction between the materials. Talk to the distributor/supplier of your cores and see what they have to say about it anodizing.

murpia
08-18-2010, 02:07 AM
2-part epoxy coatings are available to prepare (un-anodized) aluminium for bonding to CF.

Prep is abrade, degrease, apply (it goes on like paint and is very thin). Wait for cure then bond. Used for engine mount inserts in carbon tubs by at least one major manufacturer I know of.

I think Hysol are one supplier, but I don't know the product number, sorry.

Regards, Ian

Tim.Wright
08-19-2010, 01:42 AM
As far as I know, the glass ply is to stop the galvanic couple between the glass and carbon which causes corrosion of the ally.

Its done on aircraft which need to last a lot of years but for an FSAE vehicle I would say its not a necessity.

I cant comment on the strength of the bonds with and without the glass ply though.

Tim

Lorenzo Pessa
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Hysol is from Loctite. You can find bonding guides on it's website.

kapps
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Don't need to worry about glass ply if properly done. Remember you have a bond line thickness that needs to be there to get the highest strength bond. If the CF and aluminum are touching for other reasons, you will need a glass ply on top to protect from galvanic corrosion. Carbon and aluminum are on opposite ends of the spectrum so they really don't like each other.

Mark0001
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Loctite 9461

bminus
04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
we have used hysol 9430 with very good luck.