PDA

View Full Version : Composites Kit

jjund
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know of a US vendor that sells a composites starter kit? I found one in the UK that sells some carbon, epoxy, hardener, and release agent in a small kit, but it's expensive to ship to the US...

jjund
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know of a US vendor that sells a composites starter kit? I found one in the UK that sells some carbon, epoxy, hardener, and release agent in a small kit, but it's expensive to ship to the US...

Pennyman
07-21-2009, 10:30 AM
TAP plastics.

Not a starter kit, but pretty much everything you need. West Marine is pretty good for extra resin too.

RiNaZ
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
jjund, try soller composites. They support a lot of FSAE teams, so you can probably get some sample or discounted materials.

What are you trying to build?

jjund
07-22-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm relatively new to compsites work, so I want to try some small independent projects. In the past, I have been assisting on projects, using our team's supply of carbon and resin.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Drew Price
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Go to the hardware store. Buy some general purpose polyester fiberglass resin, and some cheap boat/hobby/repair woven glass or chopped-strand-mat (for building up thickness, for moulds, etc.). It comes in like 4ftx4ft swatches for a couple of dollars. Cheapest paintbrushes they have, latex gloves, popsicle sticks, and trash bin liners so you don't get Dad's garage all sploogy.

Then read up a bunch on mould and part design, or pick something interesting but simply shaped to pull a mould from. Something you could actually use, like an oil drip pan, desk organizer, or a 4-element rear airfoil with razored trailing edges and kevlar uni stays would all be good choices.

Use the polyester resin in a rediculously well ventilated area, outside in your side yard or by the edge of your garage with the door open and a fan on if possible. Read up about all the nasty things that happen to you from breathing those fumes. (Epoxy resins don't release all the volatiles, among other benefits, but are much more expensive).

You should be able to put together a decent kit to do wet layups with $50 and an afternoon. The parts won't be the best, but you will learn what you're doing, prep, teach yourself a sequence, laying out your work area, all that stuff.

Best,
Drew