PDA

View Full Version : Measurement of force required to change gears

Francis
10-07-2010, 04:50 AM
We want to change gears in a H pattern transmission using actuators. We would like to find out the required force and torque required by the actuator to do this.
Really appreciate any comments!
Francis
Team HAYA
PES Institute of Technology
Bangalore India

Francis
10-07-2010, 04:50 AM
We want to change gears in a H pattern transmission using actuators. We would like to find out the required force and torque required by the actuator to do this.
Really appreciate any comments!
Francis
Team HAYA
PES Institute of Technology
Bangalore India

EHog
10-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Fish Scale. Seriously.

Tim.Wright
10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
1. H-pattern? seriously?

2. Fish scale will only give you a static force. I will be much lower than what is required to make a proper shift.

Tim

Chris Craig
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Impressive effort on over complicating a very simple problem with a H pattern but never mind

To measure the force use a bit of common sense, engineering knowledge and your head. Try testing it statically and dynamically see which is higher!!! Not rocket science!!!!

billywight
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Last I checked the force required was about 6.

Macros
10-08-2010, 09:46 PM
yeah 6. Plus or minus

Adambomb
10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I remember reading about somebody who tried this already, thinking it was like a '65 Mustang with a T56 trans. Overall the car cost like $1.5 million, and I think it might have completed one lap in a day's worth of testing.

Zac
10-09-2010, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
I remember reading about somebody who tried this already, thinking it was like a '65 Mustang with a T56 trans. Overall the car cost like $1.5 million, and I think it might have completed one lap in a day's worth of testing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a company called mastershift that sells kits for this kind of thing. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but it is possible.

I've seen several teams struggle to get a reliable paddle shift system using a sequential box. I can't imagine trying to do the same with an H pattern transmission to be an efficient use of resources.

AD_cbr600
10-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Francis.

I assume you are a participant at the FSAE India competition where you will be using a M800 transaxle.

Converting a production car transaxle to use a paddle shift requires modifications to the gearbox internals. With an M800 transaxle, you will possibly need to change the shifter forks to somehow use a shifter drum found on motorcycles(Just take apart any mcycle gearbox to see what i am talking about).However, I dont know if this is possible with the original housing of the transaxle.Something you will have to figure out yourself.....

I do have to agree with some of the views expressed here though; it is too much a hassle to get it done and working properly(Not to mention the expense)

What I can suggest to you is to design a simple reliable gearshifter which the driver is comfortable with.You will find that even in an H type gearbox, you can gain crucial time over your competition if you can design something which is quick and gives confidence to the driver.make sure you give enough room for the lever to move around in the cockpit.Also, look at the formula Rolon shifter.It has universal joints with a sliding lever which works well.You could adapt a similar configuration.

If I were you, I would worry a lot more about getting the balance and handling of the vehicle sorted

Enjoy!!

Francis
10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Thank you, all your replies have been really helpful.