PDA

View Full Version : Need a TR tripod for Italy comp

Hub
08-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Hello,

Today when doing our last testing before the Italian comp we broke one of our Taylor Race Tripod.
All our roller bearings came off, like you can see in the pic. If your team have spare part, could you sell us one tripod?

Hub
08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
The pic:
h t t p : //h.ds.free.fr/fs/tripod.jpg

The part number we need is: 02002011
h t t p : //www.taylor-race.com/pdf/ACF4CC.pdf

Hub
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
I've posted a pic and a link to the tripod but the post need to be moderated.
It's the Taylor Race fsae tripod, part number 02002011.

Xeilos
08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Hub:

We had a similar event happen in testing about 2 months ago. We are still trying to figure out where the root cause of the problem is. Unfortunately, we were unaware of the problem and continued to run the car and it chewed our hubs to pieces and mashed up the ends of the halfshafts a little.

Do you guys have an idea about why this occured? If we can get a dialog going on this, maybe we can figure out why the cap that holds the bearings in place broke and caused the needles to fall out. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you.

What are the driveshaft angles you are running if I may ask?

Hub
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Our left shaft is shorter so the angle is bigger. I'll post a pic.
I don't know when it's occur but strangely the 3 caps came off and only in one side of the shaft. When checking the car we see a lot of free play and after the disassembly we see the problem. In our case only the caps and a few bearing are damaged.

Any other team add the same problem? And do you know why?

If a team add a damaged tripod, perhaps we could repair it.

Crispy
08-31-2010, 05:48 PM
We use Taylor race tripods and will be in Italy on Friday. We have two spares so I don't see any reason why you can't have one of ours.

The part in the picture looks the same as ours (minus the bearings...) with 20 splines . I'm not a drivetrain guy, but I believe the part is INV-02002011 from the Taylor Race website.

If you need the parts, find GFR and ask for Chris (some of the other guys could help you as well).

Travel Safe, and I look forward to seeing you in Italy!

(Edit: we only have the inner piece, I hope your housing is ok)

Kirby
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
The TRE joints grenading is a known issue at high drive-shaft angles.

I once met a guy that swore by replacing the pressed on clips with circlips but can't validate that as a solution.

Hub
08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes Chris, it's the same tripod. Our housing is ok, only slightly marked. Thanks for your help, I'm more relax now.

Kirby our problem came after 200 Km. Thanks for the info and we will see what we can do to lowered the angle.

scotty young Taylor Race
09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Angles over 14 deg will drive the cap of the tri-pod into the sides of the housing during plunge.

Axles that are to short will let the roller exit the bottom of the out board housing just enough to catch the retainer cup on the roller . The best way to check this is to slide the boot back and see where the tri-pod rides in the housing.

One big mistake that happens is during axle length calculations, the camber in the rear is set at Zero...During testing you realize the car drives like a turd and you jack in -2 deg...
Now the trip-pod is coming out of the bottom the out board housing.

The best way to check the tri-pods is to look for small flat spots on the retainer cup that holds the needle rollers in place..You will see this when you inspect your drive line after 5 hours of drive time....
the majority of tri-pod issues is not the tri-pod joint..but the drive line design.

Scotty
Taylor Race Engineering
scotty@taylor-race.com

Thrainer
09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
We had a similar failure in 2008 when our driveshaft angle was approximately 7 deg. Additionally, our housings were a bit tight.

What I would do is check all the needle retainer rings (of every tripod on the car) if they rotate freely. If one doesn't, I would replace that tripod, as the roller is prone to locking.

Regards,
Thomas

Hub
09-12-2010, 10:16 AM
The GFR tripod didn't fit our axle, but hopefully HS Karlsruhe got one and it works fine.
Thank you Chris and GFR for the help. Also thank you Jan and HS Karlsruhe for giving us a tripod, you permit us to compete in all event. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Scotty and Thomas, I'll check that, tks.

Jan_Dressler
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't mention http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif