PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic shifter , Number of shifting/tank volume/pressure

MohamedYosry
05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Hello , I'm Mohamed from Alexandria University,
we are using pneumatic shifting this year I just want make sure the pressure/volume will be enough ,
can anyone used pneumatic shifting tell me about average tanks volume used and it's pressure
Thank you .

BenMueller
05-06-2015, 03:29 AM
Hello Mohamed,

do you think that this is the right way to solve a problem? You want to become an engineer!

But I give you some hints:
- an easy way to get a rough value of how many shiftings are done, is to do a Sim with OptimumLap (it's a free Sim by OptimumG)
- measure the torque and the way with is needed to shift up and down
- choose a pneumatic cylinder e.g. by FESTO
- now begin with calculations!

Some more advices:
- most teams choose Paintball tanks for 200 or 300 bar
- the shifting pressure should be between 6-12 bar - it depends on your engine
- think about needed modifications on your change drum (1-n-2-3-4-5 to n-1-2-3-4-5)

I don't know how complex your car is, but think about a mechanical shifting system - this is a light-weight solution which is very easy to manufacture and fail-proof.
Most teams over-complicate their cars and then get in problem of time!
Build an easy system and get the drivers on the track - they will make up the time which the mechanical system is slower than the pneumatic one by better understanding the car through more time for a Set-up.

Greetings
Ben

MohamedYosry
05-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Hello Ben thank you ,, you are right I'm just asking to be sure For my calculation will result reasonable number of shifting or not

Ahmad Rezq
05-06-2015, 06:39 AM
I don't know how complex your car is, but think about a mechanical shifting system - this is a light-weight solution which is very easy to manufacture and fail-proof.
Most teams over-complicate their cars and then get in problem of time!
Build an easy system and get the drivers on the track - they will make up the time which the mechanical system is slower than the pneumatic one by better understanding the car through more time for a Set-up.

I agree with Ben, Mechanical shifting is more reliable and easier to build .