PDA

View Full Version : 'New' team design presentation thoughts?

Gr8Flux
04-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Hello all,

Because my team built a car with very little actual engineering, and more a frantic trying to figure out what makes sense and meets the rules and building it, the concepts we have to discuss during the design presentation are limited. As such I began pondering, would it be appropriate to present on what we did and note what we would change? It seems to me the judges likely have a good understanding that this is a complex problem, and even making it to competition with a running vehicle is a miracle. Thus, is it not safe to assume they would be interested in hearing what we would do differently?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Jonny Rochester
04-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Never mind the judges. I'm keen for you to spill the beans on the forum, publicly for all to see! How did your manufacturing go? How would you do it better next year? More time in design and less in manufacturing?

Claude Rouelle
04-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Scott,

1. "....and even making it to competition with a running vehicle is a miracle." If the design judges evaluate your work with their heart yes it is close to a miracle. But they will evaluate your work with their brain and in this case not coming with a running vehicle and even worse a vehicle that doesn't pass technical inspection won't give you a lot of points.

2. You seem to be a bit insecure. At least that is what your question show. Relax! Design judging is not about life and death. This is not about the remake of "There will be blood" movie :). Sure some judges will be pretty demanding end even apparently "unforgiving" but remember that the main goal of this competition is to offer students opportunities to train themselves in engineering design and project management. So concentrate on what you can gain from this competition more than what the judges do or could be thinking of you and your team.

3. Judges will look at your car and then they expect explanations of the reasons behind your design. There is no real bad design choice but there are good and bad explanations behind these choices. Being reasonable and building a car within your realistic constraints (team size, experience, budget, workshop, access to specific software.....) is one of the criteria that you need present in the reasons of your design choices

4. Johnny Rochester suggestion is excellent. Show us what you already have done ; you will learn a lot from the participants of this forum. Look at the post of Johnny and Christian Challiner and the debated which followed: you will learn a lot if you do the same.
Good luck

DougMilliken
04-20-2015, 05:15 PM
>> There is no real bad design choice ...

Well, I'd say that there are a few bad design choices that are well known in the judging community. For example, rod ends in bending (although if they are large enough they won't break). Any one else want to chime in with some more?

Will M
04-20-2015, 07:36 PM
@Doug
Load bearing bolts in single shear!

@Scott

Put up some pics and give us your best 'elevator speech' about the car.
We'll ask some questions and give you a chance to get some practice explaining things.
Sound fair?

-William

Swiftus
04-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Scott - From your team's website (http://sae.wsu.edu/wordpress/?page_id=48), it looks like you all put quite a bit of thought into the overall package.

Ahmad Rezq
04-21-2015, 07:12 AM
There is no real bad design choice but there are good and bad explanations behind these choices

Claude wouldn't say the same thing if he was asked about REIB. I will give an advise if anyone want to ask Claude ; "Don't forget to mention your teachers' engineering skills."

DougMilliken

Non supported steering column

Claude Rouelle
04-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Doug and all,

I did not express my thoughts accurately. Sorry for that. What I had in mind when I wrote "There is no real bad design choice" is the choice the team makes of 8", 10" or 13" rims diameter, tubular or monocoque chassis, inboard or outboard suspension, turbo or non turbo, inboard or outboard brakes, 1, 2, 3, or 4 or more cylinders, wings or no wings, traction control or not etc...These decisions are so depending of the team experience, budget, number of team members, university "culture" and involvement...... That is what I meant. If all the competitors were starting with the same conditions (gain budget, experience.... etc..) then maybe there would be only one "good" choice of car design characteristics.

However such things as REIB and suspension pickup points right in the middle of a chassis tube are literally unacceptable.

Claude