PDA

View Full Version : engine help...

mahi
07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
our team form NITW are participating in fsae 2011 and hence we are looking for a powerful and light weight engine.Any ideas please help u s

mahi
07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
our team form NITW are participating in fsae 2011 and hence we are looking for a powerful and light weight engine.Any ideas please help u s

thewoundedsoldier
07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
ht t p :// www .youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl2uumlI

Judging by the question, I'd venture to guess that you are several months behind schedule.

Faterooski
07-08-2010, 04:52 AM
http://www.amazon.com/O-S-FS-9...Engine/dp/B0015348KY (http://www.amazon.com/O-S-FS-91-Surpass-Stroke-Engine/dp/B0015348KY)

This will be the new hot setup for FSAE next year. Smallest overall size, easiest packaging, light weight, best power to weight ratio (0.8 lbs/HP), and guaranteed better fuel economy than any other engines currently used in FSAE competitions. The engine is designed such that you will never choke your 20mm restrictor. It was practically created just for FSAE applications. You've even got a little room to bore/stroke it if you want to squeeze every bit of available power out of it.

One minor negative, however....you'll have to add on your own charging system. The stock application doesn't use an alternator. Shouldn't be a big issue for a team of highly motivated young engineers, though.

Auerbach
07-08-2010, 05:09 AM
I've been out of school for 4 years and I still check these forums every now and then to see what people are up to. These kind of posts make me cry a single little tear.

But to answer the request (I can't really say its a question), here's how my thought process would go...
I need an engine, said engine must comply to the rules.
I need a 4 stroke gasoline/e85 engine under 610cc, and I want said engine to be powerful/light weight.
Motorcycles are powerful and light weight, maybe they have engines with the same characteristics.
Because I am in somewhere that is not America I will look for an motorcycle that is readily available.
I have found this FSAE forum with pages and pages and pages and pages of discussion, perhaps I should search for "engine" and see what other people use...and so on.

Rex
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Auerbach:
Because I am in somewhere that is not America I will look for an motorcycle that is readily available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I am in somewhere that is America, I would look for a motorcycle...because we don't have an motorcycles here in America. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Sorry Chris, couldn't resist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Auerbach:
I can't really say its a question </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is so true. It's never a question, usually a request, occasionally a demand.

Serious response to original post: unless you have money to burn, use something you can find affordably in your country. If you can get the associated stock electronics so you don't have to mess with spark timing to make the thing run half-decent, even better. Keep it simple and dramatically increase your chances of completing a car.

Xeilos
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I am still a current participant in FSAE and these posts make me cry significantly more than 1 tear.

When I first joined FSAE (I was just surfing the forums at that time), the discussions on this forum were actually intelligent (for the most part) with great extemporaneous discussions and debates.

Slowly but surely, FSAE.com as a forum is being degraded and ruined by requests such as this. Just my 2c but I no longer follow what happens in these forums like I used to. Though the responses to flame the people who ask stupid questions (is there such a thing as a stupid question?) are on occassion hilarious and well worth reading.

To anyone who thinks about asking for quick answers to stuff like this. Stop and think twice before touching that keyboard.