PDA

View Full Version : dropped Formula, moved to Baja

URracing
12-05-2009, 11:55 PM
We've been working to re-establish our SAE Chapter here at the University of Regina over the past few years now. Our last competition vehicle was in 2001 FSAE. Since I joined the team a few years back I've taken time off school here and there to basically work in the carpentry industry since I've always wanted to gain a background in carpentry and home buidling. I'm returning to my Industrial Systems Engineering degree next fall so I've been helping out the team in the meantime. Now that it looks like we're getting stronger enrollments and actual committed people back on the team we're now looking for new sponsors as most teams I'm sure have been having issues with getting sponsors with the global recession.

Anyway, even though we're looking for sponsors we've also had to switch gears and go back baja for financial reasons. I'm thinking Baja is probably a swear word on these forums but I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me where we may find some CAD models of the briggs engine or any other baja parts. Also, if there is a forum like this one that exists for baja, where? Anyone hosting one besides the SAE website? Haven't done real extensive searches yet but so far nothin too positive for results. TIA and hope all is well with current FSAE builds.

URracing
12-05-2009, 11:55 PM
We've been working to re-establish our SAE Chapter here at the University of Regina over the past few years now. Our last competition vehicle was in 2001 FSAE. Since I joined the team a few years back I've taken time off school here and there to basically work in the carpentry industry since I've always wanted to gain a background in carpentry and home buidling. I'm returning to my Industrial Systems Engineering degree next fall so I've been helping out the team in the meantime. Now that it looks like we're getting stronger enrollments and actual committed people back on the team we're now looking for new sponsors as most teams I'm sure have been having issues with getting sponsors with the global recession.

Anyway, even though we're looking for sponsors we've also had to switch gears and go back baja for financial reasons. I'm thinking Baja is probably a swear word on these forums but I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me where we may find some CAD models of the briggs engine or any other baja parts. Also, if there is a forum like this one that exists for baja, where? Anyone hosting one besides the SAE website? Haven't done real extensive searches yet but so far nothin too positive for results. TIA and hope all is well with current FSAE builds.

rjwoods77
12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
http://forums.bajasae.net/foru...efbcde3c197c65ebae2d (http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/forums.html?SID=447292c91afaefbcde3c197c65ebae2d)

While the baja is very much less of a technical challenge it is a much more practically tough design series. Designing for the variable conditions. terrains and rediculous loads you will encounter makes FSAE look like a joke. Don't feel bad about switching. The smart play is to realize your resource limitations and pick the appropriate design series that will allow you to maximize learning and fun within those confines. At least that is what 10 beers tells me right now but I am pretty consistant with those feelings as old posts will show.

TacoPete
12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Checkout bajasae.net As for the engine model, I think the briggs site may have one.

fixitmattman
12-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a REALLY crude model if you get stuck. But I'm sure there's better ones out on the net than the one I've got.

I don't know why BAJA's looked on as second class. To be honest, the BAJA comps I went to were way more demanding than FSAE.

URracing
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the site. I'll check it out. I guess for us baja is considered "second class" mostly because it will be cheaper for us to build one. Even though our last baja was competed around 1995 we still have lots of spare parts like tires, shocks, uprights, wheels, etc... that are all in good shape - same that was used on the baja back then but still brand new, so it saves us quite a bit of money and at this point we're just desperate to get a vehicle in competition, probably 2011 now since all baja comps were booked up SOLID within the the first day of registration, sorta like Formula. I normally wouldn't name Baja second class to Formula as it involves all the same engineering and project management principles as Formula, just less performance I guess. I'm really having issues finding good reference material on offroad a-arm suspensions (specifically SAE baja). Any help here would be good too. SOOOOO different from Formula, which I have finally managed to "think" I perfected before we decided on building a baja instead.

TorqueWrench
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I did Baja for two years at our school, including being captain for one, before moving to FSAE to do engine work. There is alot more to Baja than most guys in our competition would think, its just a different area of engineering. Same analysis and math, just different application. I wouldnt call it less performance, just different.

I noticed that myself with registration. It used to be that formula filled up immediately and baja took days. I am pretty sure Baja closed faster than FSAE this year.

bob.paasch
12-08-2009, 08:29 AM
The two east coast NA competitions are closed, but as of this morning there are still a few slots left for Western Washington.

I advise both Baja and Formula. I would agree with Chris, not less performance, just different. The top Baja teams put just as much technical effort into their designs as the top Formula teams. While the tires are more forgiving in Baja, you have to maintain decent kinematics over 300mm of travel. Baja has no engine development, but that makes the engine to rear wheel powertrain development all the more important.

That said, in my opinion there are more really good Formula teams around the world than really good Baja, and the bottom end of Baja has a lot more "Monster Garage" than does Formula.

A competitive Baja car is about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a competitive Formula car.

Fred G
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Would love to have a baja down under http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

My lawn mower is powered by a briggs and stratton engine... it's tempting to pull it off and put it to better use :P

Fred

dazz
12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred G:
Would love to have a baja down under http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

My lawn mower is powered by a briggs and stratton engine... it's tempting to pull it off and put it to better use :P

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just run our own class in the Finke? Man would THAT be a challenge! (not to mention scary as hell - imagine being overtaken by an open class vehicle travelling at 200kph in the dust and rocks...) Or the Aussie version of the Dakar rally, the Australian Safari. 8 days and around 6000kms of the Australian outback.