PDA

View Full Version : supercharger theory

alexkey84
05-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi all,
the topic is "supercharger on Fsae car engine". I'm searching training aid, books and in particular Fsae article and pubblicatin about the teory and the common values used (for example, pressure ratio...) in using superchargers. Many thanks to all!

alexkey84
05-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi all,
the topic is "supercharger on Fsae car engine". I'm searching training aid, books and in particular Fsae article and pubblicatin about the teory and the common values used (for example, pressure ratio...) in using superchargers. Many thanks to all!

A Richards
05-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Have you arh.... Tried the search button?

alexkey84
05-11-2009, 02:04 AM
yes, but before buying papers or articles, I need to restrict the possibilities. So I'm looking for students or members that have already tried to tackle this issue.

alexkey84
05-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Mhm, I wont to explain what I'm looking for. My graduation thesis is the application of a supercharger (maybe roots type) to an engine and make an analysis. I need to find documentation, books and other things about it. Thanks

Grant Mahler
05-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, seeing as its your thesis, why don't you use the search button. This has been discussed many times - superchargers, turbos, pressure ratios, intercooling, legality of all above. There are myriad SAE papers, some of which are stickied, strangely enough, in the thread at the top titled "SAE Papers on Formula SAE".

Mikey Antonakakis
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
For a very basic start on the subject, read Corky Bell's Maximum Boost. Then read a more in-depth book. Then come up with an idea to write about. Then go do it. I doubt anyone will come up with the thesis for you. As Grant said, use the search feature, and read the stickied threads. That will be a very good starting point.

Faterooski
05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree with Mikey, read Bell's "Maximum Boost" and if you want strictly supercharging, his other book "Supercharged!" They both give a really good foundation on the subject, both from a perfomance/combustion and application (mounting, plumbing, etc.) standpoint. I did my senior design project on supercharging a YZF600 using a roots-style blower, and used "Supercharged!" for a good deal of my preliminary research. As far as the ideal pressure ratio goes, thats up to you to find out. It all depends on what you are looking for. If this is your thesis, I'll let you do the same work I did.

Grant Mahler
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Corky Bell's books are fantastic places to start - he explains the terms, and some concepts very well.

Be aware of when the book was published. It is VERY out of date. The terms and basic concepts have not changed; the technologies have. Also be aware that he is quite opinionated on certain ideas and technologies, and some of his opinions are contrary to mainstream thinking nowadays.

Check your sources.

alexkey84
05-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Many thanks to all, I'm reading "Maximum boost" ed I'm waiting for "Supercharged", it is what I was looking for to start. Although someone thougth bad, I was loking for a good start ONLY! Anyway, I'm really beholden to all. Bye

L B0MB
05-20-2009, 02:18 AM
seach on the forums for the "Wattard" engine. There is a link to pdf articles on it

The guy is *THE* FSAE engine guru

He goes into boost pressure, CR, knock limit, knock sensors, gasket-less interface...