PDA

View Full Version : Suspension design

Mostafa Habib
02-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Hey guys ,
I am new to FS and work on our suspension system

i asked alot about the begining for understanding , design and best softwares programmes to use
and i received some advices which made me more Dispersion. :3 :3
and now i study from " race car vehicle dynamics - William "
so can u give me any advices help me to match competition time !..

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــ
Mostafa Habib
ZUFS Racing Team

Jay Lawrence
02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Well that's nearly English ;)

Assuming that you have read Bigbird's "Reasoning your way through the design process" thread and through that have been able to develop some system parameters I would advise that you read the suspension related stickied threads. Use these and the Google to gather whatever prior art you can find and then do some sketches and post them here. Forget about software until you at least do that.

Keep in mind that your thread title is pretty stupid given the amount of other threads with similar titles so you probably won't get much of a response.

Ahmad Rezq
02-10-2015, 08:48 AM
There are many topics to read here about vehicle dynamics and suspension design for FSAE.
When you start your own design you will find yourself searching on a specific information and you will find many useful posts here.
Don't Forget to read every single word from "Z" posts. :D

Mostafa Habib
02-18-2015, 06:20 AM
And for this i have to thank u about your response :D
Sure i'll search again and again so wait my questions :D and i'll wait ur answers ;)

dynatune
02-28-2015, 04:40 PM
have a look at www.dynatune-xl.com. We have just released really interesting stuff on suspension design ...

Cheers,
dynatune

Jonny Rochester
03-01-2015, 07:36 AM
In my mind there are 3 main areas of suspension design to get started, then more systems and adjustments can be made later.

1. Wheel assembly. Having chosen your tyres, you choose rim width. You may choose a KPI and scrub value. Then you draw the upright and wheel and allow space for brakes to package your wheel assembly. It will take a few gos to draw this assembly and choose rim offset to get your desired KPI and scrub, you may have to make a sacrifice due to the parts you have to use.

2. Chassis points. Having chosen your track widths, and maybe your roll centers, the challenge is to design wishbones joining upright to chassis. Linked to all this is roll center, but also camber change with roll, and hundreds of other acronyms I don't understand. Also, steering rack...

3. Suspension actuation. Placement of the shock/spring can almost be thought about last. If you can find a suitable shock it can be direct mounted somewhere, otherwise a pushrod and rocker will allow it to be placed almost anywhere.

4. Other stuff... anti-roll bars

All but number 1 effect chassis design, which shouldn't be locked in place till the suspension is designed first.