PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Damper Mounting

ADKenkel
01-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone out there had any ingenious ideas on how to mount dampers with double shear bellcranks. Obviously you can run a tube in the frame in the same plane as wheel assembly and mounting points, but I was curious as to what other unique approaches may be out there.

Claude Rouelle
01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
ADKendel,

It would be so nice if you could introduce yourself.

As all polite people do!

ADKenkel
01-08-2015, 09:22 PM
My apologies Claude.
My name is Alex Kenkel. I am a sophomore with the South Dakota State University (SD State) Formula SAE team – “Wild Hare Racing”. We have meet in person as our team had the pleasure of having you for design review at the Lincoln competition in June. Anyways, I am working with the frame and suspension group. I should have been more descriptive with what I am asking for originally. Our team has always run suspension in double shear and in a vertical plane. Due to packaging, we are running suspension that is not in a vertical plane but one that angles forward of the rear axle. From my research, I have not found there to be any issues but I wanted to get some opinions from a great FSAE knowledge base. I appreciate any input in favor of or against as I would like to gather all of the knowledge I can for the design.

mech5496
01-09-2015, 03:20 AM
We had a front suspension damper running backwards in the past, albeit with a monocoque. We fabricated a Π-shaped bracket, but with angled (no 90deg) sides. Laser-cut steel and welded together. Not sure if this is the real question though :P.

Jay Lawrence
01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Nothing wrong with single shear and there are many successful FSAE examples. Just make sure it's nice and solid