PDA

View Full Version : Air speed sensor recommendation?

LSD
11-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a pitot tube air speed sensor, but only straight pipe can I find. Can anyone give some information about a L pipe using on motor sport?
I will be much appreciate it.

DanielH
11-13-2014, 10:18 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=L+shaped+pitot+tube

LSD
11-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Thank you. But search is still very rough

LSD
11-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Thank you. But search is still very rough...

theTTshark
11-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Thank you. But search is still very rough...

Well nobody is going to do your work for you. The guy showed that you can get an L-shaped pitot tube to pop up on Google, and if you can't find it on there then none of us can help you.

MCoach
11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1136

It's a differential air pressure sensor, +/- 2kpa, good up to about 200kph +/- I don't feel like calculating this stuff...

This is the type of thing that they use to figure out airspeed on planes, although more amateur and cheaper.
I searched air speed sensor and this was the first result.

LSD
11-17-2014, 03:28 AM
I know that. I ask because I search a lot but can't find a suitable one. If someone who have experience can give a brand name that will be much easier for me. I don't mean to let you search for me. :)

LSD
11-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Yes I don't like calculating too. Thank you!

GTS
11-17-2014, 03:51 AM
A few vendors make nice and inexpensive Pitot-static tube, you'll need to trade off the length of the tube against response for effective pneumatic dampening. And to make sure whatever MEMS pressure sensor you put into things has a nice, noise-free voltage supply rail and whatever accuracy you need. Calculate this first.

You'll probably work out that for FSAE speeds a single-hole tube doesn't have the angular acceptance to do much reasonable if there's wind of if your car corners. Which is most of the time. At least two vendors stock multi-hole precalibrated tubes, one of which is not too expensive... particularly when it crops up second hand. There's an L-shaped design too. You'll need to decide whether you run a two or three differential sensor setup, which requires some smarts.

For the money involved, if your university has even a small wind tunnel it's easier to buy some stainless, drill, braze, calibrate, make many, destroy some, learn, acquire data.

Or you can decide, for reasons of time and complexity (depends on your interest levels and project stage) to simply stuff some GPS on the car for speed and use a weather station wherever you drive, and be smart enough to sync and align what you're getting from both temporally and spatially/geometrically. Bonus points for working out how to locate the weather station, and how to correct this to relevance for a car.

-An Aero Judge.