PDA

View Full Version : Rear Differential Mount Help

wenyongzhe
11-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi
It is our first time to design the FSAE car. I know few FSAE team use shaft drive on the car, but since 2011, our rotating diff designs have had leaking problem. We are trying to put Honda TRX 300 diff on the car. We have a very preliminary design on the diff mount. We would like some input on this design. Our some general tips for designing diff mount.
Thanks

Pat Clarke
11-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Wenyongzhe,

It would be good manners to introduce yourself and your team before asking for help.

Pat Clarke

AxelRipper
11-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Well, I don't see any reason why it WOULDN'T work....

mbrydges
11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Hello New Team, I was on the Guelph team, who has always run a shaft drive car, so i have made and broke a few mounts over the year. I would agree with AxelRipper that it looks like it would work. That being said there are alot of bars going across the rear end of the car. Would it be possible to turn the differential upside down and lower the whole drive and assembly? May also make it easier to attach with two lower mounts and one upper mount. Just a sugestion. It is also too bad you dont have a higher ratio diff, then just stick the motor right into the diff. Here is a pic, this mount is way overkill but was fast to make and strong. 416

Jonny Rochester
11-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Everytime you convert your motion from shaft to chain, then chain to shaft, then 90 degrees in a final drive etc, you loose efficiency. Or more correctly, you spend energy. I am guessing you have a hypoid pinion and crown wheel? That probably takes more energy than the chain related stuff. Either way, I would be aiming for a system with less moving parts.

Remove the chain part, just couple the motor directly to the "diff".