PDA

View Full Version : lateral acceleration

ARUNkANNA
08-29-2014, 04:41 AM
iam confused with the calculation of lateral acceleration...i wud like to know the reference!!!!!

Yannick
08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Sometimes I find myself confused too.

In those cases I first try to find an answer in the available resources (e.g. google, books). If this is not sufficient, you could also search this forum, where a lot of information is available. I know it sounds crazy to use a search function on a forum...
If this is still not sufficient, I would consider asking the community. For this however I would strongly suggest to you to rethink your method.

Cheers
Yannick

Claude Rouelle
08-29-2014, 08:01 AM
And here we go again....

Hmmm.... India?

Pat Clarke
08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
ARUNkANNA,

Please check your private messages

Pat Clarke

Jonny Rochester
08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Sit as a passenger in a normal car and go for a drive. Hold in your lap a bowl with a concave bottom, and place a ping-pong (table tennis) ball in the bowl. Try and hold the bowl stable, but watch where the ball goes. You may get an idea how far the ball moves left to right compared to the magnitude it moves forwards/backwards. Then when you do your calculations, you can be more easily alerted to obvious errors.

Also in the normal car, a smart phone maybe able to record the max G-force you see. Your formula car may give higher g-force, but at least you know what sort of numbers to expect.

Jonny Rochester
08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Vehicle transient forces (when the car changes direction) is too difficult for me to calculate. But if we imagine a vehicle turning in a perfect circle at a known radius and constant speed, then I probably should be able to calculate the G-force / lateral acceleration of that. I can't, but everyone else on this forum can. :P

Big Bird
08-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Sit as a passenger in a normal car and go for a drive. Hold in your lap a bowl with a concave bottom, and place a ping-pong (table tennis) ball in the bowl. Try and hold the bowl stable, but watch where the ball goes. You may get an idea how far the ball moves left to right compared to the magnitude it moves forwards/backwards. Then when you do your calculations, you can be more easily alerted to obvious errors.

Also in the normal car, a smart phone maybe able to record the max G-force you see. Your formula car may give higher g-force, but at least you know what sort of numbers to expect.

Now THAT is good engineering. Nice one Jonny