PDA

View Full Version : Megaphones

Gaanja
01-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Can someone please tell me how megaphones work in a exhaust system??

Gaanja
01-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Can someone please tell me how megaphones work in a exhaust system??

exFSAE
01-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Have you tried emailing Burns Stainless?

Gaanja
01-26-2009, 06:29 AM
yes i did. I did not get a reply

samphlett
01-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Maybe they don't know. Just accumulated years of trial and error?

Gaanja
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmm... not commenting about that.. But if someone knows the logic could you please tell me??

Damon Pipenberg
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
A megaphone is a type of acoustic horn, so if you find a book on acoustics you can learn how it works. Basically the horn optimizes the transfer of sound waves from in the exhaust pipe to free air. This will make the exhaust sound louder and more directional.

frenzy
01-27-2009, 02:56 AM
don't they work like a diffusor?
i've seen pipes like that on an old porsche 914 and the owner said, he measured a small increase in bhp in comparison to straight pipes..

PatClarke
01-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Frenzy,
back in the days when noise wasn't an issue, megaphone exhausts were commonplace. When 500cc singles ruled the world of motorcycle racing, megaphones or 'Meggas' were universally used. Google a picture of a Manx Norton and you will see what I mean.

They worked with exhaust extraction at specific RPMs and so led to expressions like 'On the megga' or 'On the pipe' when the harmonics tuned in.

Most of the guys who raced with this kind of exhaust are deaf as posts these days. I suspect it would be extremely difficult to get a megaphone exhaust past the noise test at FSAE.

Cheers
Pat

TorqueWrench
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
UB had a megaphone into a muffler design last year on our V-Twin. It got past sound, but just barely...

The idea behind it was to increase the tuning effect at a specific RPM more than simply a tuned pipe could achieve. While this may not be seen as much of a benefit to a sequential transmission because you pass very quickly over this point, a CVT can actually make good use of it by setting the holding RPM of the clutches to the megaphone's tuned RPM.

Wesley
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
One of UTA's cars has a converging/diverging "megaphone" that I would imagine acts in a similar manner. It's also pretty loud.