PDA

View Full Version : Resources on the Application of Gussets (and Their Pros and Cons) to Tube-frames

RFR_Chassis
07-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for other sources on gussets in tube-frames, besides Chassis Eng. by Herb Adams and this decent source that I found (http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Frame.mod/KawaMods.htm

I would like documents with special attention to strength-to-weight ratios (compared too tubular members, too).

Thanks

stever95
07-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Can't help you much from an engineering standpoint, but I can tell you that this forum is not about handouts. There are some here who sugar coat it less than me, but that's the gist.

0. Use the search bar
1. Introduce yourself
2. Show what engineering you've done
3. Ask an engineered question

Good luck with your search.

Kevin Hayward
07-31-2014, 08:44 PM
I am not sure I have seen the discussion of gussets come up in the forums, so I don't think a search will help too much in this case. Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

I think most people would look at the design of gussets as being an application of standard engineering mechanics, and wouldn't be going to particular documents about gusset design. The images shown in the link you provided come accross as common sense in engineering, but I am aware that as a student that common sense needs to be learnt. What might help is standard steel design texts, and maybe some engineering standards. You will probably be able to do a lot of the calcs yourself. Maybe some combination of FEA of typical gusset arrangements with some weld calcs, might be the quickest way to look at various geometries. One of the areas you will want to consider is the reduction of fatigue resistance due to the irregularities and heat affected zones due to welding.

If you post some of the calcs or assumptions you are thinking of, you will probably get some good feedback on this forum. There are some that insist on knowing your name, school, height, favourite colour, and expect questions written better than Keat's best. But a whole lot of others just want to talk engineering.

Kev

RFR_Chassis
08-01-2014, 08:41 AM
^stever95.

I should have noted that I have searched through this forum prior to posting. I did not know that this forum was just for in-depth/through-process questions.

Kevin, I will continue looking and perform sim's on SW, then.

John_Burford
08-01-2014, 02:31 PM
References to using gussets for reinforcements of primary structure are being removed from the 2015 rules.

John Burford