PDA

View Full Version : holes in anti intrusion plate

Alan.l
07-03-2014, 06:14 AM
hi,

we want to attach the brake fluid reservoirs to the anti intrusion plate, and was wondering if it is possible to drill two small holes in it, the rule book doesn't cover this option

thanks

Dunk Mckay
07-03-2014, 10:12 AM
hi,

we want to attach the brake fluid reservoirs to the anti intrusion plate, and was wondering if it is possible to drill two small holes in it, the rule book doesn't cover this option

thanks

Pretty sure it has to be an unbroken surface. The name "anti-intrusion" suggest that an opening that could allow something to intrude into the cockpit would be illegal. Even if you're going to plug it with something that blocks the hole as I imagine you are (bolts probably) you'll still create stress raisers. You might be able to get away with welding some bolts/threaded bar to the back of it, but don't take my word on that.

In any case you need to send in an official query for something like this that's not covered by the rules.

Bemo
07-04-2014, 04:41 AM
It is neither possible to drill holes in the anti-intrusion-plate nor to attach anything to it. The rules prohibit to build anything into the front bulkhead as this is the deformation space for the anti intrusion plate. All parts have to be behind the REAR plane of the bulkhead.

As always rules requests are better addressed at the rules committee of the competition you want to take part at as the response you get there is official and will be definitely valid at comp. Here you can only get unofficial answers which won't count if a scrutineer at the event has a different opinion.

Alan.l
07-05-2014, 04:27 AM
thanks, i'll take it up with the rules committee, although i think both of you are correct