PDA

View Full Version : Course Maps for FSAE Michigan 2014

matt.kalmus
04-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to let everyone know, in case you hadn't noticed (it's buried), that the course maps for FSAE Michigan are on the SAE website. Scroll down to the "Student Information" section -

http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/fsae/

-Matt

theTTshark
04-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Wow, these courses seem to be really tight and just one big slalom back and forth. I know we obviously have to work within MIS's limits, and I'm not trying to criticize the course designers either.

Some questions...
Were SCCA course designers involved with making these courses?
What does the average speed estimation for these look like?

I could be completely off the mark here though, so what is everyone else's thoughts on these?

matt.kalmus
04-09-2014, 08:28 PM
To answer your questions:

1. Yes, but to an extent. There are a group of people who the course works through for feedback, ideas and suggestions from the summer until it is/was finalized a couple of months ago.
2. I don't have a final number, but my last math had it around 2 mph faster than last year, if I recall correctly. Course got tightened up a little bit in 1-2 locations after that point - so the expectation is to be in a similar place. Last year's average overall speed was right around 30 mph, which is on the lower side of the "average speed" in the rules - while the fastest average speed was right around 36mph - right on the upper edge of the range in the rules. We do what we can to drop the averages in and around that band. It's by no means easy (and I am accepting of any and all good and easy to use simulation models to facilitate that).

Feedback certainly welcome, and more than happy to walk the course with anyone out at MIS to discuss this year's design, as well as accept ideas and feedback for next year.

theTTshark
04-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Matt thanks for responding, and thank you for making a course in such a difficult setting. Maybe the map just makes it seem tighter to me than it is.

I think the best suggestion is for us to try to convince MIS to pave us a giant asphalt pad! haha :D Obviously that will never happen.