PDA

View Full Version : PE3 communication with MacBook + Windows 7?

Goody
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi all, I have successfully talked to and started/ran our 2014 Lincoln car off a native Windows 7 laptop. Unfortunately it's old, the battery doesn't last long and it's very bulky. My smaller and much newer Macbook is what I would like to use to communicate with the car.

I cannot seem to find the right configuration to make this work, I have Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks, Parallels 8 and Windows 7. I've tried the firewall settings that I can find, with no luck! I am looking to see if anyone here is using a Performance Electronics ECU on a Mac successfully and if so, is there anything special you did?

I can get the IP address of the ECU through the native Windows machine, if that helps.

I have found this from Motec's site, which may be similar, but I haven't completed those steps just yet.
http://www.motec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2423

Thank you,
Mike Goodman
University of North Texas

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Although I do not have any personal experience with the Mac and our software, I do know that we have had many customers over the years run it successfully. Generally if you are running Windows 7 or later you should not need to set the IP address of the laptop. The firewall settings are what most often cause problems. Either disable it completely or make sure to allow the peMonitor through the firewall for both 'Domain', 'Private' and 'Public' networks.

Bcohen5055
03-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I haven't ever used parallels for this application but I know quite a bit about using it for other things. The first thing I would check is your network mode. In parallels you can chose between bridged, shared, or host-only. Bridged will be what you want, this will allow the virtual PC to appear as an independent computer on the network and you should be able to ping to it from any other computer on the network. This really is the only step that should be different with your setup.