PDA

View Full Version : Accumulator Container

anix94
02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Hello,

I have a query regarding the accumulator container rules. According to EV3.4.2 and EV3.4.7 both the container and the cells within the container should be restrained so as to withstand 20g and 10g forces in horizontal and vertical directions respectively. Are these forces to be applied on the mounting mechanism alone or does the container should also be able to withstand these forces. For example,we plan to use GFRP panels as the container material and a set of Aluminium 6061 mounts for fastening both the cells to the containers and the container to the chassis. In this case, should these lateral and longitudinal forces be considered to act uniformly on the aluminium mounts alone?

Thanks in advance.

Big Bird
02-28-2014, 07:03 PM
If you were to jump out of a plane, would you be happy if the parachute was strong enough to withstand your weight, but the ropes attaching you to the parachute weren't. Alternatively, would you be happy if the ropes were strong enough, but the parachute itself tore up as soon as you opened it? I would imagine that you would like the WHOLE SYSTEM to be strong enough.

Would you design a drive chain such that only some of the links were strong enough to transmit the engine's drive torque?

Likewise your accumulator. Would you be happy to design it such that only parts of it would be strong enough to withstand the test load? If the system failed under the test load, would you still be satisfied because the brackets were still intact? What would be the point of that?

I cannot answer for the SAE on this, as it is only my opinion. But it seems to be odd that you are asking this question