PDA

View Full Version : HANS device...

raptor93
12-05-2013, 06:18 AM
we are a fresher team and are looking forward for suggestions regarding the use of HANS device. As we are a new team so we are being skeptical from buying one. so we are looking for experienced suggestions that is it that necessary to buy one as it is very expensive.

jd74914
12-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Where do you see a HANS is required? Have you read the rules?

raptor93
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
No the question is not regarding the rulebook. we are just looking for a suggestion that should we use or not. I mean what do most of the teams do? without the HANS device is it safe to drive in the events?

Michael Royce
12-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Raptor,
It is safe to drive in an FSAE or FS event without a HANS device. 99.9% of drivers do so. Over the years we have only seen a handful of teams use a HANS device, usually because they were given them.

The Rules do allow teams to use such devices, but while I was chairman of the Rules Committee, even though there were some Judges who pushed for mandating them, we decided against it. As with everything, one has to examine the cost/benefit ratio. A HANS device is beneficial in preventing basal skull fractures that can occur in very, very high (50-100g) decelerations (keeping the skull attached to the spine). In FSAE and FS competitions, we keep the speeds down and are very careful about course design so do not anticipate these levels of impacts. Also, HANS devices are several hundred dollars, and to be 100% effective need to be tailored to each driver. Therefore, we concluded that the costs for teams to buy them were too high for the benefits in our form of competition. Those dollars are better spent on other safety items like proper fitting helmets (a helmet for each driver instead of sharing 1 or 2 between all team members).

FSAE and FS are more aligned with SCCA's Solo events, where only a helmet is required. The SCCA Solo Rules do not even require driver's suits for formula cars! However, if I ever went back to road racing, Mrs. Royce would insist that I buy a HANS device. They have come in since I last raced in 2004.

Claude Rouelle
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM
What do you put first; active or passive safety?

Out of 7 or 8 Formula Student / FSAE event each year, I have seen a few (rare, I admit) cars being driven by a driver wearing the HANS device of which the chassis did pass technical inspection (although sometimes barely) but which had very questionable structural integrity and poor engineering design.

You want to work on failure and crash avoidance as much as you want to limit the consequence of a failure or a crash.

Big Bird
12-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Nice point Claude. Good design is free too.

Raptor, there is plenty to amuse you in presenting a well designed, well integrated car. Start simple, learn what the basics are, do them well. Out-do your competitors with what you know, not what you have spent.

Cheers all

Racer-X
12-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Its overkill to use a HANS device in FSAE. Your chances of hitting something head on are very slim and even then you're never going more than 70 mph on the track. We do also have the crush zone, it might not save your ankles but it will dissipate enough energy you won't be fracturing the base of your skull if you manage to find a wall/pole/timing rv to hit. If I had the money or sponsor to get a HANS device I'd take a better rated suit instead, fire is a much more real threat.

i6overboard
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I can vouch that a HANS device is far more comfortable than a neck brace. But i agree with Racer-X that a better fire suit would be a better investment for FSAE.

Pat Clarke
12-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Raptor93,

You might gain some Design Points if you designed, built and tested a better Head And Neck safety device and presented it at the event when integrated into the car!

Pat